Windows printer settings won't change

littlefatso

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000mkII/Pro-100
Hi, I'm having trouble getting Windows 7 to stick to the settings I want. I'm using Qimage along with some very expensive paper and as I was going back and double checking the settings before making the final print I noticed that in the Windows dialog boxes all my settings were not staying where I set them.

The print preview button won't turn off.
The custom quality settings always reverts to the middle position.
And the print matching settings always changes back to ICM not None.

preview before printing button wont turn off.JPG custom quality resets.JPG matching resets.jpg

My print seems to turn out fine. But I'm not 100% sure as I'm using a new custom profile. Is Windows indeed accepting my settings and then immediately reverting back to a default setting after it prints? Thanks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If you wish to save your Qimage printer setting as default then this has to be done in Devices and printers control panel on the start menu.
Once you open your printer properties then preferences and whatever setting you then apply in there will stay as default once you remember to click on the Apply button.

So if you want to use other printer setting you can do that at the printing stage in any Application if you so wish, but these setting won’t be saved and your printer will always revert back to your default setting every time.

littlefatso

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks Hat for your response. I'm a little confused though. Okay, I've set my defaults via Devices and Printers. When I'm then using Qimage and say I wan to use different papers and I'm choosing the selections in the Window dialog boxes are they being adhered to for that specific print? And then after the print it reverts back to the default which I've set? Thanks.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Qimage memorizes the print setting for a particular profile and retains its own printer settings that will override the OS when used. The printer settings at the OS level is not changed by Qimage. Numerous photo related software do this because they recognize that at the OS level quite often a different paper is used for general printing. ACDSee also does something similar.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
You can save individual settings for an unlimited number of printer / paper / ink / profile / size and on and on and on!!!!
Capture.JPG

littlefatso

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks, I understand the Qimage side of it with saved settings and jobs. I was just concerned that the Windows dialog boxes weren't sticking to the settings I inputted. So Qimage safely overrides the Windows dialog boxes and I shouldn't be concerned?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You can also use the Printer Preferences to save every single one of your profiles in much the same way as on other applications, you just click on save and add a profile name to it ..

upload_2014-3-19_20-55-19.png