Windex or pharmacist‘s solution?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I will repeat, the above test is NOT a standard compatibility test. It took me over one week of working on it every day to determine how to incite it. Otherwise in every single other test, it will pass.
The question then is whether your methodology to create the reaction represents

1) what you believe would occur with possibly any refill ink and the OEM cartridge, albeit accomplished in a compressed time format,

or

2) an extraordinary experiment that forces a reaction where none may occur otherwise, specifically during real world use of the refilled OEM cartridge,

or

3) not enough data, don't know?

Technician

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iX6850
Pardon my ignorance my background lies in electronics not chemistry, but is it known exactly why this gelling phenomena appears to occur only in yellow ink cartridges or can it happen to any ink if conditions are right ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
but is it known exactly why this gelling phenomena appears to occur only in yellow ink cartridges or can it happen to any ink if conditions are right ?
It’s only the yellow that’s effected, because Canon used a new ink in their OEM yellow cartridges that reacts with water and certain 3rd party inks, but the good news, there is an effective work around for this issue... ;)

Magic

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma IP7250
Just one more question: Am I right, that when I already have the pharmacist‘s solution and add some ammonia for the cleaning purpose there‘s no need to get Windex or any other glass cleaner? Because it‘s nearly the same?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Just one more question: Am I right, that when I already have the pharmacist‘s solution and add some ammonia for the cleaning purpose there‘s no need to get Windex or any other glass cleaner? Because it‘s nearly the same?
Yes and no, yes your solution mix will work instead of the window cleaner, but you then can’t use it to rinse clean your cartridge afterwards, you wound need to make a separate batch of the solution without Ammonia, besides window cleaner is far cheaper...