Windex or pharmacist‘s solution?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Do you have personal experience or other data that Octopus ink does not cause Yello Gello over time? IIRC, Mikling talked about 5-6 refills before Yello Gello with his ink.

IIRC, mikling said his conclusion was based on experimenting with more than just his ink.

The takeaway message was since Yello Gello was a reaction due to dilution of the OEM Yello ink, that water was a known causative factor, and that aftermarket refill inks would cause said dilution, then any refill ink would result in Yello Gello eventually unless rigorous cleaning of the sponge were preformed before first refill.

I'm looking for clarity as well as accuracy on this matter. I do not want to promulgate inaccurate information. Maybe mikling will chime in to clarify.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I have tested this aspect on ink other than IS that had claimed to NOT have this and found it did indeed have this phenomena as well. The testing is NOT easy. So despite the lab indicating it had no such issue ( and they were wrong), the fact that I caused it to happen is interesting. I will not name the other ink maker.
My advice for people is why take the chance when there is a 100% risk free alternative. I am too busy and the risks are too high if it turns out the lab was wrong. In the above case, had I believed what the lab said, I would have been in deep shit with thousands of users.
So I always take the least risk proposition in everything I do now as consequences are very far reaching for me now. I can no longer be cavalier about it....the downside risk to thousands of users is way too high.
On this board, wrong advice does not have consequences to the degree I now face.
This is all I have to say about it, since my solution works 100% of the time and has for over 10,000 users.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Thanks for the clarification, mikling.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I am sorry, but I can’t let this go, the Yello Jello syndrome does not affect Octopus ink, so saying it does is wrong, as I said Mikling has his own agenda and needs to cover his own ass understandably, but let’s not sling mud about just to upset the ink market, it’s very unfair to do so...

Magic

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma IP7250
Thank you for all the input. I think it's best to flush at least the yellow cart with Glasscleaner and Pharmacist's solution to be on the safe side. It's good to know that I don't have to clean the other OEMs before refilling when they get low on ink.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I understand, The Hat. We are both trying to impart proper information as best we can based on our own experiences and what we have read. When it comes to Yello Gello I must rely on the wisdom of what I've read, pretty much exclusively on this forum. In future commentary I will note the discrepancy on which inks may lead to the reaction.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I am sorry, but I can’t let this go, the Yello Jello syndrome does not affect Octopus ink, so saying it does is wrong, as I said Mikling has his own agenda and needs to cover his own ass understandably, but let’s not sling mud about just to upset the ink market, it’s very unfair to do so...

I refill for some family and friends (and myself) with yellow dye ink from Prodinks/Sudhaus and from OCP in 520/521 and 525/526 carts.
With both inks some printers work flawlessly and others clog (mostly mine), carts flushed and dried or not, I still don't know for sure after 3 years (only that it appears after a certain time).

Maybe we have to take into account that Canon changed the ink formula over time.
It is possible that who has those cartridges since long never observed "Yello Gello", and who refills a recent cartridge does, independent from the refill ink brand.

I must admit that refilling Canon sponge cartridges is much more complicated than I thought in the beginning.

Last edited:

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
This situation is totally misunderstood, The extremely small gelled globules only occurs at a certain concentration. A continuous descending dilution ratio must be slowly slowly applied and allow to stand and observed before successive dilutions are further applied to the test. This is not a mix it and see aspect. I will repeat, the above test is NOT a standard compatibility test. It took me over one week of working on it every day to determine how to incite it. Otherwise in every single other test, it will pass. I can kind of kind of guarantee to you that a lab will not perform this test to this extent, it is simply too costly and not a standard test and they possibly will not know what they are looking for either.

Similarly for my Signature Edition inks, it simply is too expensive a process for a lab to make it to the degree I did because if you ascribe a cost to the time taken for a lab technician, it is Not economically viable. There are things that can be done given time and patience more importantly dedication but in a commercial setting would never ever pay back.

Time is money in a strict commercial setting. In every hobby that can be taken to extremes, there are aspects to it that can exceed what commercial products have to offer but requires the utmost in dedication and a little limit to cost. I have another old time hobby that also requires that dedication.. DIY Hi End audio; over 40 years of evolution. It's been reignited by DSD.

The user is free to choose what they want to follow.