1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: How to take pictures of gloss differential properly?
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

WIN 10 Update

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Emulator, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Sep 26, 2016
    Emulator

Emulator Printer Master Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon Pro9000 II
    WIN 10 continues to amaze. The latest update last night has removed all my printer drivers. It tells me that the update has made my computer safer to operate in this wicked world!

The Hat likes this.
  2. Sep 26, 2016
    stratman

stratman Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon MP830, Pencil
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  3. Sep 26, 2016
    PeterBJ

PeterBJ Printer Master Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon iP5200 + more printers
    Upgrading from Win 8 to Win 8.1 also deleted my installed printers except for one that was connected to the computer and turned on during the upgrade.

The Hat likes this.
  4. Sep 26, 2016
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon Rule in My House
    I dumped Win 7 and went straight for a fresh Win 8.1 install (New Disc), it’s now working trouble free after the one glitch with it changing the monitor colours, but I am still trying to get Photoshop to play ball with its colours, when I get that sorted I’ll calibrate all my printers to output pretty much the same colours.

All my printers eventually installed correctly themselves by plug and play and I ended up with duplicates of everything where I had attempted to install them myself, no driver problems either...

I hate to say this because I got no proof yet, but watch out with Win 10 and its coverts installs, I reckon your EPROM chip in your printers can be accessed by a new printer driver install under Win 10.

Win 10 is anti-compatible....:eek:

5. Sep 26, 2016
    stratman

Printer Model:
    Canon MP830, Pencil
    Much can go wrong on flashing an EEPROM in the covert manner you suggest for a printer manufacturer, let alone Microsoft, be on the hook for warranty issues.

6. Sep 26, 2016
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon Rule in My House
    Yes, it did occur to me that it might cause a problem if something went wrong, so I can’t say for sure how they are doing this but it’s been done unknowingly to you the printer owner.

When you buy the printer you should use the CD and only install the driver and not download anything from their website, that might help, some printers of the same age are affected by this and some are not, how then are they disabling Same Mode.

The truth is not out there... YET ? :eek:

stratman likes this.
  7. Sep 26, 2016
    PeterBJ

Printer Model:
    I have a laptop with W10 32 bit. I have not yet received the Anniversary upgrade. Maybe the hardware of my Core i3 laptop does not have enough "computing power"?

8. Sep 26, 2016
    stratman

Printer Model:
    Canon MP830, Pencil
    Yes, the i3 meets the requirement for upgrading. Since you have Win 10 installed already then the Anniversary upgrade is compatible with your CPU.

From https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications
    There is an increase in RAM required for the Anniversary update on 32-bit systems, though it is very mild in nature - from 1 GB to 2 GB: http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-anniversary-update-will-require-more-ram/

Lastly, Microsoft runs a compatibility check when you initiate the upgrade process and will tell you if you do not meet minimum requirements: http://www.groovypost.com/howto/3-ways-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-anniversary-update/

Note in the above article you can force the upgrade sooner than your scheduled rollout. Microsoft staggers automatic delivery of the upgrade across geographic areas to decrease server demands for the download.

BTW, I used the Media Creation Tool to make an installable copy of the Anniversary Update on a USB flash drive. The process went smoothly and I can reinstall Win 10 if needed from the USB flash drive without downloading it again.

The Hat likes this.
  9. Sep 26, 2016
    palombian

palombian Print Addict

Printer Model:
    Pro9500II MX7600 IX6550 MG8250
    I have the anniversary update since a few weeks (on a very old Q9400 cpu, 8GB) and my printers still work.

10. Sep 26, 2016
    PeterBJ

Printer Model:
    Some older Canon printers are not officially supported by Windows 10, but drivers for older Windows versions often work perfectly, sometimes it is necessary to install the drivers in compatibility mode for that OS the driver is intended for, sometimes it is not.

I wonder if the drivers deleted by the upgrade are those "officially incompatible" drivers. Deleting software not compatible with the new OS before the update makes sense I think.

I have Canon printers using cartridge generations BCI-3e/6, PGI-5/CLI-8, PGI-520/CLI-521, PGI-525/CLI-526 and PGI-550/CLI-551, so I could install printers of each generation on the laptop and see which printers will be deleted when I get the Anniversary Update and I will then report the result.

If the deleted drivers can be reinstalled without problems, I think the update is no cause for alarm.

stratman likes this.