Reinstalling Canon Printers After A Win 8.1 Upgrade

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
After having upgraded my Windows 8 64 bit computer to Windows 8.1 64 bit I found out that all my installed printers had been deleted, except for an iP5200 that was attached to the computer and turned on during the update. So I had to reinstall the printers.

The first printer I reinstalled was the MP540. I just did a plug and play install. After the install I would test the install by printing a nozzle check and the windows printer test page.

I got this error message from the printer:

mp540 fejl.jpg

Which translates into something like: "The printer doesn't communicate, enable support of bi-directional communication in the printer properties dialogue box."

This is the setting to enable in the tab "Ports":

tovejs.jpg

After enabling the bi-directional setting, the printer worked again. Other printers that needed this setting to be enabled after reinstall was the iP2700 and the iP3600. Apart from this re-enabling of a setting, the plug and play install worked without problems.

For my other printers i965, iP4000, iP4200, and iP6600D the bi-directional setting was already enabled, so the printers worked immediately after reinstall. These printers were also installed using plug and play.

So luckily even older printers that are not officially supported by Windows 8.1 still work if they worked under Windows 8 :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I thought you were giving up on Windows 8?!? :somad

Have read about the upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 causing installed peripherals to be deleted which is one of the reasons held out on the upgrade, the other is too see if early adopters have any other issues that would affect me. :hide

From what I've read, others have had similar good result re-installing. While the process is a PITA, being able to use most anything legacy with Windows 8.x is a testament to Windows 8's little mentioned legacy support.:thumbsup

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I thought you were giving up on Windows 8?!? :somad

No, I am not giving up on Windows 8.1. It seems the problems are solved for now.

What I really disliked was having to sign up with Microsoft, submitting personal information and having to create an MS account, and that they hijacked my login to my computer, so I logged in to the MS account when logging on to my computer. Luckily there was a work around to avoid this.

There seems to be one big improvement in the upgrade. Before the upgrade explorer had a tendency to crash, especially if you didn't wait a couple of seconds before right-clicking a file in a folder, see this:

not-responding1.jpg

The title translates to: Printer Images ( Not responding). Explorer seems to be much more stable after the upgrade. I have not yet experienced a crash after the upgrade.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I had not experienced a problem with File Explorer. IMO Windows 8 File Explorer is the best yet. I especially like the Copy/Move features. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/...ement-basics-copy-move-rename-and-delete.aspx

One day when I feel like reinstalling the printer I will go ahead and upgrade to Windows 8.1. Until then I am enjoying what I have.

Question: Did you have to re-install any applications or lose any files besides ones related to your printers after the upgrade to 8.1? Also, were you using the 8.1 Preview or 8.0 before the official upgrade?

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
When the computer was brand new, I had no problems with the file explorer being unstable. The problems started when I downloaded some file viewers to solve a problem with TIFF files and wrong colours. Uninstalling the programs improved the situation somewhat. Running CCleaner brought no further improvement.

I have lost no installed programs. But I had two old HP scanners installed, the HP scanjets 3500C and 4070. They were also deleted during the upgrade, the same way the printers were deleted.

I never used the Windows 8 or 8.1 preview versions. I bought a computer with Windows 8 preinstalled, and upgraded from the preinstalled Windows 8.

I don't know how many printers you have installed, but I think it is a good idea to have them all connected to the computer and turned on during the upgrade, if it is possible, to avoid having to reinstall and probably having to solve some problems. But Canon multi-functionals don't like USB hubs.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I think it is a good idea to have them all connected to the computer and turned on during the upgrade, if it is possible, to avoid having to reinstall and probably having to solve some problems
Sounds like a good idea. thanks.

I had read a British review of upgrading from 8.0 to 8.1 and it said installed programs were lost. I've read other reviews and no programs were lost in the upgrade. that is why I asked. After completing most of my app installations with Windows 8, I really do not want to re-install 20+ apps and re-tweak numerous settings. Reinstalling a printer is nothing compared to the work I've done till now.

One app I use is Total Uninstall 6. The program monitors installation of applications, before, during and after, so that if you need to uninstall you can pretty much clean out left over files and residual registry entries. Ashampoo also makes a good uninstaller that I used long ago. Total Uninstall will also monitor an install that requires a re-boot, something the very popular Revo Uninstaller cannot do. If you test out a lot of apps, or even if you are diligent about removing all of an installed application, then I highly recommend one of these programs. One of these uninstallers may have prevented the file explorer problem. Or it could make things worse if you are not careful. :oops:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
PeterBj

The log on and sign up to upgrade to 8.1 is not compulsory you can use anything at all.
You can call yourself Mr. Win eight if you wish it’s just a procedure so it doesn’t matter
what name you use and the same goes for your Email address also,
no checks are ever made..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@The Hat -- 7 must be your lucky number because that's how many times your post showed up. :D

I tried to post numerous times in this thread earlier today and it wasn't working. Maybe I'll have numerous repeats too.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
PeterBJ

The log on and sign up to upgrade to 8.1 is not compulsory you can use anything at all.

You can call yourself Mr. Win eight if you wish it’s just a procedure so it doesn’t matter
what name you use and the same goes for your Email address also,
no checks are ever made.

The upgrade can only be done from the App Store, when logged in to your Microsoft account. You receive a security/confirmation code via Email or as a text message on your cell phone. This code must also be entered before the upgrade can start, so at least the Email address must be valid.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The upgrade can only be done from the App Store, when logged in to your Microsoft account. You receive a security/confirmation code via Email or as a text message on your cell phone. This code must also be entered before the upgrade can start, so at least the Email address must be valid.

I will check that out for you also. :p
stratman said:
@The Hat -- 7 must be your lucky number because that's how many times your post showed up. :D

I tried to post numerous times in this thread earlier today and it wasn't working. Maybe I'll have numerous repeats too. [/qoute]

The duplicate post thing is a right pain in the ass for everyone,
I did notify Rob about this particular post and asked him to have any or all my threads
in this post deleted to save confusion.

As you can see they weren’t, so much for a pre-emptive strike,
my missile must have been a dud..:th

Latest posts