Reinstalling Canon Printers After A Win 8.1 Upgrade

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The upgrade can only be done from the App Store, when logged in to your Microsoft account. You receive a security/confirmation code via Email or as a text message on your cell phone. This code must also be entered before the upgrade can start, so at least the Email address must be valid.
I upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1 over the weekend. I tried to post but the server errors wouldn't allow it. I saved that post and will post it next post plus follow up.

I wanted to comment specifically on your post. There was no "security/confirmation code via Email or as a text message on your cell phone" required for my upgrade. Maybe it was because I ended up doing some of what The Hat suggested.

It is also now possible to download an ISO or make a bootable flash drive with the Windows 8.1 upgrade. It is not publicized by MS to the masses but it is a way for those who do not want to DL the 3.6 GB's over and over for each computer they upgrade in their household or business. Google Windows 8.1 ISO.

The following link will give help, not only with making an ISO/Flash Drive of the the 8.1 upgrade but also how to do a clean install of 8.1 despite only having an 8.0 key. It is silly that MS does not want owners of a legally owned and legitimate Windows 8 key to be able to do a clean install of 8.1. But it can be done according to the link. Of course, using the ISO/Flash Drive to go from 8 to 8.1 is straight forward and the preferred MS route.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Windows 8 to 8.1 Upgrade Part I

I have just upgraded my new computer from Win 8 to Win 8.1.
The upgrade claims to be free for owners of Win 8 computers. It is free in terms of money, but I think you pay by giving Microsoft information. The upgrade is not available from Windows Update, nor can it be downloaded as a program or an .iso file from the web. I consider the upgrade a service pack, but Microsoft thinks otherwise.
I tried to get the upgrade from the App Store, but was told I was not connected to the internet (?). I found out the problem was I had never created a Microsoft account, so I had to do this. To get this account you need to provide name, date of birth, and E-mail address, to get a security/confirmation code.
After this I could start the online upgrade, and after finishing I had to log onto my computer using my new Microsoft login. My old login no longer worked. This login also logged me onto my newly created Microsoft account. I then had to configure my computer, especially with regards to the Microsoft account. I disabled some tracking services and the cloud drive.
After restart my computer would no longer boot directly to the desk top, but to the Metro UI. Somehow the "Classic Shell" feature to boot directly to the desktop had been disabled. I found out how to log on to a local account in stead of the Microsoft account. I was told that by doing so, I would have to log in to my Microsoft account if I wanted to use the App Store and other services. Yes and so what? Did I put a spanner into the works to Big Brother?
After backing up my SSD OS and files I took the plunge into upgrading from Windows 8 to 8.1. First there was a Windows Update file that needed to be installed in order to get the 8.1 update which is found in the Apps Store rather than Windows Update just as you had said. I do not have a Microsoft account, at least that I can remember but was able to download and install 8.1 UNTIL I got to the MS Account sign in window at the end of the install. Unable to go further until making an MS account and not wanting to sign up for a MS account I backed out of the upgrade. On reboot, Windows 8 was restored.

I then looked up "Windows 8 to 8.1 upgrade Microsoft Account" and found the following instructions on how to log on to Windows 8.1 using a local account instead of a Microsoft Account. The instructions detail how to do this during the install of 8.1 as well ass after you have installed 8.1 so that you can revert back to a local account log on. I imagine you have already done this but the following may help others DURING the install as well as after.

Also, MS states that the downloaded ~3.5 GB for the installation of Windows 8.1 will be deleted. this is not enitirely true. I have an SSD I use for the OS and applications and have been told that when something is deleted, ie not in the Recycle Bin, then it will be gone without ability of recovery due to the nature of garbage collection / trim with SSD drives. I found Windows 8.1 installation files but clicking on Setup or the executable file gives an error of a missing file. I'm sure someone will figure out how to deploy the 8.1 upgrade via flash drive or DVD soon if not already.

I am going to redo the upgrade now that I understand the process and workarounds better.

BTW, I did leave my printer on during the upgrade process. We'll see if that makes a difference in it remaining installed.

Also, just to let you know, I successfully printed on a disk! :ya

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Windows 8 to 8.1 Upgrade Part II

I made a MS account before attempting the upgrade again. I choose the outlook.com sign-in. After making this account I looked through my Roboform logins and sure enough years ago I made a MS account.

The installation process appeared to have recognized that the installation files were still on my SSD because there was very little time for it to scan/check the drive and then begin the upgrade process compared to the first time when the files needed to be downloaded. So much for MS warning that cancelling the upgrade would result in the DL'ed files to be deleted and I would have to re-download them again.

The process otherwise was identical and after entering in my MS account username and password everything completed. After several re-boots the new 8.1 loaded and I was in business to start exploring the changes. I did choose to use a local account which resulted in no need to log on at boot. There were a couple additional new updates found using Windows Update after the upgrade.

First thing noticed was my Desktop image was gone. I used MS built in theme manager to DL an new image. Some of them even have sound. I had chosen an tropical island landscape. It's relaxing. :)

The Start button is now in the lower left hand corner as expected. It does nothing that wasn't already there except add shutdown/sign out function. I already had those covered. My keyboard has a Power button. Easy breezy.

I then used some of the tips from the following page to modify Windows settings: http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/2013/10/27/windows-8-upgrade/3177343/

One thing that really annoyed me was that File Explorer needed tweaking again. I saw this new main folder called "This PC". this is the formerly known "My Computer" which I thought was just fine the way it was. "This PC" had several duplicate sub-folders from my User Named folder that was created when I first installed Windows 8. For instance, my user named folder from the "old" Windows 8 is called Stratman and contained numerous pre-determined sub-folders such as Pictures, Videos, Music, etc. Many but not all of these sub-folders were duplicated under "This PC" including the files contained within. I dislike this duplication and need to findout what can be done about it if at all. Any ideas, Peter?

Also, I need to reset File Explorer to open in the Drive I want to see first (my D: drive) instead of "This PC". And then there is the tweaking of these new folder appearances that needs to be done. I like my columns set up to be File Name, Size, Type, Date Modified and a setting of Details.

I do not use Libraries but see that you need to enable it now as it is off by default. Do you use Libraries? How?

I do note the changes in the Metro UI. I have not fiddled around with this although I did do the upgrades it recommended. I do use the calculator, check my weather and play Solitaire. That's it. All this could be done without the Metro UI.

And now for the $64 question -- did my printer survive the upgrade? YES! I left the printer on during the upgrade as you suggested. Maybe that made a difference. Thank you for the tip!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think the security confirmation code was needed for verifying my new Microsoft account, and so not directly related to the download.

Except for the problems with drivers being deleted and the Classic Shell partly disabled I have observed no changes. My Explorer seems to have only minor changes, no duplicate or "old" folders, but I didn't customize the Explorer, as I use the shareware "Total Commander", a "Norton Commander" clone as my favourite file handling program, so I'm no Explorer expert and sadly cannot tell you what to do. But I'm glad the Explorer no longer risks crashing, when I open or right-click a file.

I have also got the name change from "Computer" to "PC" in the Danish version, but it seems to be only a renaming, the contents seems unchanged.

I do not use Libraries, it seems just to be a collection of short cuts to Documents, Images, Music, Downloads, Desktop, and Videos. They are now replaced by a collection of folders at the top of The Explorer start window, above your drives and devices. I think the change is acceptable.

I haven't checked out the new Metro UI as I use that very little, but I think the changes in Win 8.1 is mostly to the Metro UI?

I Googled "windows 8.1 iso download" and found some tricks to save the download which should be used at the time of upgrading, but no direct links to a download.

I'll keep looking for an iso download, as this would be handy if I should need to reformat my HDD. I should then be able to do a clean install from this iso, as it is a completely new OS?

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The link I gave in Post #11 details the way to make an ISO and does have a link to get you started.

To do a simple fresh install of 8.1 from the ISO requires an 8.1 Key. If you were upgrading from 8 then you have an 8 Key and you cannot directly use your 8 Key to install the ISO as a fresh 8.1 install. A Windows 8 Key will allow you to first install Windows 8 and then use the ISO to upgrade to 8.1. However, there are workarounds to be able to do a fresh 8.1 install from the ISO and they are described in the reader comments below the article.

There are other web sites with instructions for making an 8.1 ISO. Google "Windows 8.1 ISO" for more.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
My new computer didn't come with a license sticker on the computer or with the restore disks, but I used Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder to extract the key and store it in a .txt file. I just checked the key again for my Win 8.1 install, and it is unchanged.

But I think my key is a generic Medion key that is written automatically by the Medion restore disk, and no activation is necessary. This key will probably not be accepted for doing a clean install from a downloaded Win 8.1 iso, as some Medion specific files will be missing?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Good job getting your Key.

I do not know what Medion files are essential for a fresh installation and which Medion files can be installed after Windows is installed. Since I built my own computer, the only thing I could do before installing windows was flash the UEFI (BIOS) with a flash drive. Otherwise I installed the motherboard, graphics card, etc after installing Windows. Windows is able to provide basic monitor, keyboard and mouse function until you perform specific installs of the hardware. It may be possible to DL all the various Medion-specific files you will need for your computer from Medion's web site. Then you could burn those to a disk and install them after a "fresh" install of the Windows 8.1 ISO.

Do you have a hidden partition on your hard drive that contains the restore files from the manufacturer? I think it is possible to make an installation disk that combines the Windows installation files as well as the proprietary files for your specific hardware set up using something like Windows PE. I recall checking out Bart PE in the old days with Windows XP.

There also may be a way for you to extract and burn the appropriate files from the hidden partition. At the very least, your manufacturer should have given you a way to burn to disk the some sort of installation or restore files without you having to hack the hidden partition.

One thing you can bank on is if you and I have thought about it then so have others and the chance is good that others have figured out out to do this already for you. It's just a matter of Googling or going to Medion's forum and finding the answers. :)

When you upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1, your 8 Key does not change and you will not then have an 8.1 Key. It's still just the 8 Key.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have both a Win 8 install disk and a driver and plus application disk, so I can do a fresh install if needed. The computer also has a restore partition, so that is OK, there is no need to create a set of restore disks.

What I meant with Medion specific files was some files on the Win 8 disk, that inserts the key and make the OS already activated. I didn't mean drivers for MB and hardware. The Medion site also provides Win 7 drivers for my computer, that was why I would have started all over with Win 7 if I couldn't get my printers to work with Win 8.

So my unchanged key will only be good for reinstallation of Win 8 not a clean install of Win 8.1, even if my Win 8.1 is still valid and activated, so after a reinstall I will have to start all over with the upgrade? I then hope that the free upgrade is not a limited time offer, but will still be valid for a legitimate reinstalled Win 8.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I understood what you meant with your Medion machine. One of the things I tried to tell you was you may be able to make a fresh Windows 8.1 installation disk that has all the Medion specific files which will be installed as well. That is what people did in the past with applications like Bart PE and IIRC could/can be done with Windows PE. One disk with everything on it to put a fresh install of Windows and all your drivers/executables needed to get running.

But enough of that.

You can make a Windows 8.1 ISO from information given in the link I posted.

You can use this Windows 8.1 ISO to do an upgrade from 8 to 8.1 with only your Windows 8 Key.

You can do a fresh Windows 8.1 install without purchasing an 8.1 Key - just owning a legit 8 Key - if the information in the comments section detailing TWO different ways to do it that I saw are to be believed.

If you use the restore function and the hidden partition files on your Medion machine then you will to first restore Windows 8 and then need to upgrade to 8.1. Or you could use the disks that you have to accomplish the same result and then upgrade to 8.1 either via download or the ISO.

I have not heard the 8.1 upgrade will be limited time offer. It is represented as a minor upgrade - a subset of 8.x - and not a major upgrade such as to Windows 9.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thanks for the info. I have bookmarked this thread, as I would prefer to be able to do a clean install. Even if I'll have to spend more time finding out how to create a new install disk than doing a double install, I still think the clean install is preferable.

Years ago I tried to create an install disk from a C:\i386 folder to reinstall an English Win XP on an old Dell computer, using the techniques you described. My attempt was only partly successful. The install started but ground to a halt due to some missing files. Luckily I had a Dell install disk with a Danish Win XP Pro, but I would like to try the English version, to learn the English Windows terms. They are useful to know searching the web for a solution to a computer problem, there are "a few" more English than Danish Windows installed, and Microsoft's translations are not always what you would expect.