Wierd 3D prints - what causes

Zap

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
3d problems 013.JPG

Using an Ender 3 printer. Following the recommended settings on the Filaments roles, on all prints, the good and the bad. Each roll of filament is fresh out of the manufacture package. From two different manufactures.

Both prints on the left, the top = wall anchor,,, and the bottom == spinner top, were printed with PLA from the time the printer was new. 2 rolls of PLA where everything printed great. Both Pints on the right , the = wall anchor using the same Gcode used to print on the left ,,, and the bottom == Using the same Gcode used to print the spinner top on the left, the difference is that on the right a PLA-F filament was used, and when that failed print as above on all prints, tried a new roll of Pla which printed this same way – massive misprint.

Looking at it as a possible Under Extrusion due to a part plugged nozzle, I replaced the nozzle with a new one. It printed the same way -- failure.

The diameter of all the filaments measure the same with a micrometer. Now I can guess at what to change next and use up half a roll of filament testing each change, only to find that the next roll of filament I buy will force all those tests again.

Now I believe that someone out there has already had this same problem and found the solution, so I hope someone out there can give me an answer.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I'd almost guarantee it's Under Extrusion... but there are a LOT of things that can cause it. :(

Lots of articles and videos on the topic, but when I was having lots of Under Extrusion problems, this was very helpful:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Looking at it as a possible Under Extrusion due to a part plugged nozzle, I replaced the nozzle with a new one. It printed the same way -- failure.
Hi @Zap and welcome to the 3D world guessing game when something goes wrong and you can’t seem to find the answer, the Video below covers just about all of the things that could be causing your problem.

But I reckon your issue is a partial clog in your Bowden tube just above your brass nozzle, replacing the nozzle sometimes works but not always as you have found because there is still small bits of filament residue present there.
Capture11.JPG

Try heating the nozzle up to 180 c, then remove the brass nozzle and try pushing the filament through the extruder by hand and allow some filament to come out the bottom of the heater block, try that several times..

I had some luck printing with ABS and PETG, but they were always hit and miss when it came to a successful outcome, with my mind-set I just couldn’t get a consistent print, because there was always something I’d missed, so I stuck with PLA and haven’t looked back, I still have two half rolls of ABS and PETG laying in a corner somewhere..

but when I was having lots of Under Extrusion problems, this was very helpful:
This is a great video @Nifty and covers just about everything on “Under Extrusion” but it does go on a bit long, it could have been a bit shorter.. Still very interesting..

Zap

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen for your great answers, I WILL keep them where I can read them the next time that I have problems printing , they are great answers.

Now having said that, I Found the problem, one that I was not expecting at all. I found that both roles of filament, from two different manufactures,,,,in vacuum sealed bags, each with a bag of Desiccant in them,,,, were WET.. I dried my roll of PLA-F in my food dehydrator for 24 hours, put the roll back in the printer, and every test print now printed perfectly. I would not have expected the same problem from two different manufactures at the very same time.

Again, Thank You for your answers.......