Wide-format Canon printer showdown

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi ghwellsjr,

According to druckerchannel.de the best pigmented ink for the PGI-5 is the one from KMP (a german company), which is smear-resistant to highlighter pens (the so called smear test: much better than the one from Inktec and equivalent to Canon's own PGI-5Bk ink). Shops like tintenalarm.de sells refill kits, combining Inktec newer CLI-8 compatible refill ink and KMP pigment black PGI-8Bk ink, offering the best of those 2 companies.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
ghwellsjr said:
However, there is a difference between the Canon pigment blacks from a BCI-3e and a PGI-5. The pigment black ink from the new chipped cartridges will not smear when you use a highlighter on it. I was hoping that Inktec's pigment black for the PGI-5 would also show this improvement but it doesn't.
Thank you for that important piece of information. I do use a highlighter on some of my printed material and am a bit fussy about smears.

BTW, 75 cartridges to refill at one time is mindblowing! That's a lotta ink.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
pharmacist said:
According to druckerchannel.de the best pigmented ink for the PGI-5 is the one from KMP (a german company), which is smear-resistant to highlighter pens (the so called smear test: much better than the one from Inktec and equivalent to Canon's own PGI-5Bk ink). Shops like tintenalarm.de sells refill kits, combining Inktec newer CLI-8 compatible refill ink and KMP pigment black PGI-8Bk ink, offering the best of those 2 companies.
Do you know where I can find it in the USA? I would think shipping from Germany would kill any price savings.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi stratman,

actually I don't know where to buy that excellent pigment black ink from KMP. You can ask for a price offer and how much you have to pay for shipping and handling (one thing: since it's for export VAT will be deducted from the retail price).