Why no one is using Megatoners Canon cartridge?

gohaha

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Megatoner is selling those Canon Bci-3, bci-6 etc for $0.99, the cheapest I can find. I have used them for a year on my ip4000 and pretty happy with them. Of course the quality of the cart is no where close to the OEM, but the same quality as the other reseller's, even the G&G that recommended here.

For the color accuracy, I bought two batch from them. The first batch, I couldn't tell the color from the OEM, and the second batch, noticeable red cast, but not that bad.

So why pay $2 instead of $1 for the same cart? (Megatoners' cart might be the C&C cart, but I am not sure)? For $1 per cart, you don't even need to consider refilling.

For the lightfastness, the conclusion from my torture test proved that non of the 3rd party inks can match OEM ink, in both the Canon and Epson case. The difference is not a little, but huge. so if you have some picture precious, you'd better stick with the OEM ink.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Erm... you've heard the expression..

Pay peanuts... get monkeys
.. well this might not apply but the quality has to suffer somewhere if they can make a profit selling the kit that low... right?

gohaha

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
well, the dilema here is, the cartridge they are selling are the same cartridges other retailers are selling, including the several stores mentioned here. only difference is they charge $0.99, other charge $1.99 or more. so some people guess they are running business from basement and make pennies on each cart.

I have never used their customer service, but what I heard on internet is that their customer service is not that bad, but certainly not as good as other expensive retailers. I did get one or two bad carts, but for $0.99 I didn't bother with their customer service.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Speaking straight... for the cost to be so low they will have had to cut corners... I would wait and see how those prints turn out over time and I'd also see how much longer your printhead lasts..

I'd be willing to bet you'll get degredation of some colours before others and a clogged printhead before the end of 3 months... but that's just a guess.

As to your theory of big biz vs' basement tech you can forget that... a home build operation will have vastly more expensive costs because they won't be able to get the raw materials (cartridges, etc...) for the low bulk costs as bigger business...

Also, small hint but at the moment your sudden appearance and your focus on one business's product makes your posts and your motives look highly suspicious (ie: are you advertising or are you a genuine customer)... Too many people faking it just makes us all cynical...

The Bottom line here though is that I wouldn't touch those products at those prices and you'll find that a lot from people who've been burned more than once on the "cheap" front.

gohaha

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have no connection with Megatoners whatsoever, I am just a regular photographer who want the best quality for least money. I started refilling my Epson 870 in 2000 using MIS inks (does that mean I am also advertising for MIS?) and you know I am not a novice for refilling. I only ordered twice from them, and I have friends ordered from them and are quite happy for what we paid. I don't promote any retailer, I just want to share and exchange information to benefit each other. Certainly you have the right to doubt what I say, but do a google youself to see yourself.

on the other hand, I don't feel your reasoning stand. As you know all these vendors are retailers, they don't manufacture their own carts. They all sell whatever they can get from manfuactures and that's reason why none of the retailer can control the quality of their carts. and as I said, other more reputable retailer sell the exact SAME carts for MORE. The "bulk cost" you mentioned is irrelevant here as megatoners is a big retailers.

Another example why your reasoning doesn't stand. Best Buy or Staples can charge a USB cable for $20, and the cost is $1 (if you get a chance to check their compter for the real cost of these cables, you will be amazed :), and a family business charge you $2 for the same cable, can you claim the one charge you $2 cutting corner on the quality of the cable?

Ok, lets get back to the quality of the carts. I have to repeat the information I said again. I used their carts for slightly over a year, and here's the result
Colgged printhead? no so far
degredation of some colours? Yes and no, depends on how I torture my prints. No fading when I store my printes in albumn or haning indoor (still testing, but no fading sign for half year), and faded terribly compared to OEM when I torture my prints under direct sun exposure. And again, all the 3rd party inks I tested faded terribly compared to OEM, even the famous MIS inks. I am still doing the torture test for the prints from second batch carts and can report back in a few weeks.

And again, do a google youself for the user of megatoners. My bargain hunting friends my not know some retailers mentioned on this forum, but they do know megatoners name.

websnail said:
Speaking straight... for the cost to be so low they will have had to cut corners... I would wait and see how those prints turn out over time and I'd also see how much longer your printhead lasts..

I'd be willing to bet you'll get degredation of some colours before others and a clogged printhead before the end of 3 months... but that's just a guess.

As to your theory of big biz vs' basement tech you can forget that... a home build operation will have vastly more expensive costs because they won't be able to get the raw materials (cartridges, etc...) for the low bulk costs as bigger business...

Also, small hint but at the moment your sudden appearance and your focus on one business's product makes your posts and your motives look highly suspicious (ie: are you advertising or are you a genuine customer)... Too many people faking it just makes us all cynical...

The Bottom line here though is that I wouldn't touch those products at those prices and you'll find that a lot from people who've been burned more than once on the "cheap" front.

gohaha

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
BTW, I have been on this forum for several weeks, but only posted my first message today. it's understandable for your doubts. I found this forum by doing research on Hobbicolor inks. when you search amazon's a9.com search engine, the first hit is this forum. But the fading problem reported for hobbicolor inks really concerned me, so I hesitate to palce an order.

Hendo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
This is typical SPAM. You should be a shame.

gohaha

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I apologize that I didn't know that different but honest opinions are so unwelcome on this forum. I haven't been here long enough don't know much about how this forum operates. This forum may either be shared by a close group, or has connection with certain ink cartridge vendors (certainly not the megatoners or MIS I mentioned before). There's no point to figure out because I will refrain myself from "SPAMMING" on this forum

This is the first time in my life my post is called SPAM, guess I have to accept the fact that it's SPAM, though I don't feel shame at all because I share my own experience at the expense of my own money and time with the intention to benefit each other.

Really miss those early days when people were discussing the infamous Epson "organge shift" problem. People only attack evidence, not the person.

Again, google is your friend. whether you call it SPAM or not, there's no loss to me at all.

Hendo said:
This is typical SPAM. You should be a shame.

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have zero experience with megatoner, but I do note they are not the only vendor selling cartridges that cheap. And some of these other outfits do have somewhat of a following. But to acheive that low price they probably use depend on very cheap wholesalers and are agressive in seeking the lowest possible supplier prices.

In other words, Megatoner and many of these other outfits are middlemen and not the
company that makes the cartridge or the ink.

A somewhat dead given away confirmation of this hypothesis is contained in the opening post from gohaha.---who bought two batches of cartridges---the first batch
had a very good color balance---the second batch had an overall red cast. So I am guessing the two different batches came from two different suppliers megatoner has used over the years---and who knows the company that will make the third
yet to be ordered batch.

My simple point is ---unless you are sure your third party cartridge vendor is vending the same product--order to order--acheving consistant results will be impossible.---and improving your own work will be a process of chasing your own tail.---and you are always gambling that they will finally get an ink that does damage your printhead.--nor can you trust a review of their product on this forum
because its always a moving target.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All good points Gohaha and you're right my key trigger is when someone comes on and their first post is all about X great brand or a similar sort of post..

Osage probably hits the nail on the head as to your original question though...