Why in the world would Canon allow you to Disable Ink monitoring?

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
Non OEM cartridges often contain much more ink than the OEM version. So if a chip on such a non OEM cartridge says the ink is finished, it usually is not.
Some non OEM carts even contain twice as much ink. In such cases the chip is worthless for ink monitoring.

With my Epson printers I have had air locks, but not often. It didn't appear with empty cartridges, but after a cartridge exchange.
Forcing some cleaning fluid through the printhead appeared to be the best way to solve the problem. I know the printhead can be damaged by that method. But better take that risk than buying a new printer :)

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525
Users use OEM ink cartridges likely have no reasons to disable the ink monitoring. Disabling ink monitoring is likely one of the way to let the manufacturers know that a refilled ink cartridges are being used. ;)
So if one is taking the printer to the service, remember to turn the ink monitoring on and put in OEM carts! (the one with no drilled hole, no...)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
In most Canon printer cartridges there is a light sensor prism
which actually controls the ink monitoring and not the on board chip at all.

The chip is only there to prevent you from using the wrong colour cartridge
or refilling or reusing the cartridges again.

Whether you’re using aftermarket or OEM cartridge the same rules still apply,
when the reservoir empties the prism allows the printer to take control
and after a certain amount of ink droplets are used up
the printer declares both cartridge and chip to be empty.

Now you are perfectly right the cartridge isn’t actually empty
but to continue to print at this point is just plain fool hardy
and Canon acknowledges this by allowing you (The user)
to manually disable the ink monitoring after several strong warnings.

If you continue to print the lightly outcome can result in a damaged print head
which is now not covered by any warrantee or guarantee because you (The user)
deliberately switched off the ink monitoring and that information is then stored
in the printers on board EPROM chip. (Evidence)

So for a few pennies worth of ink your now forced to replace your print head,
but to prevent this from happening the best refill policy is to change
the cartridge at the low ink warning, and replace it with another cartridge
that has been properly reset and refilled for use again..

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Remember guys, my question was ONLY about WHY Canon would allow a built in method to allow us wily users to simply refill our OEM carts and IF not resetter was available to reset the chip, and continue to print by accepting the risk of a disabled ink monitoring. So now I can simply continue to "CHEAT" Canon out of tons of money and refill my carts, and the CHIP is only there to tell the printer than "Magenta" cart is in the slot.

It is probably all about liability!

But take Epson for example. There is not way for me to say, YES I know my cart is empty ( According to the chip ) but what the hell, let me continue to print anyway!

See what I mean? Seems funny that Canon allows you to by pass the "Empty Cart-Stop Printing NOW!" warning and Epson simply says, "NOPE" you shall not print any further. Cause We say so!

Joe

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Toolman:

I think you frame the question incorrectly. Canon is not giving special consideration to refillers, instead fair use of the printer. (See #1) You are also not "cheating" anyone. You, and Canon, are complying with US law which does not allow manufacturers to prohibit other than OEM parts be used. (See #5) That refillers exploited this useful feature is secondary to Canon's fair business practices.

1) The notion has long been that Canon allows you to bypass the change cartridge warning to allow people to finish a print job. No printer manufacturer detects every bit of usable ink has been used, so a built in margin of safety is used, hence you can turn off the warning and continue to print a small amount further, especially important if printing stops mid page.

2) Canon is so eeevvviiilll that they encourage you to burn up your print head. Conspiracy theorists on the Forum will immediately believe this.

3) Canon is lazy and never changed this option. Some of the simpler minded may believe this.

4) Canon allows this function but then turns on some mysterious ink guzzling feature as pay back to drive up ink sales. Never proven but still widely regarded as must be true.

5) Canon somehow defies law or has special dispensation to defy law such as the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. File this one under conspiracy theorists as well.

Canon is not evil. Canon is entitled to protect their intellectual property within the confines of law. Canon has given us great printers and continues to despite what we as refillers think or want. If someone else can do it better and make a profit then by all means go for it.

Canon provides a feature to accommodate users to squeeze out a little bit more ink to complete a print job with fair warning of the risk. This feature has provided refillers a way to save money on EOM cartridges before the days of chip resetters. The chips added functionality for Canon (not necessarily for the end user) and temporarily delayed 3rd party cartridge sales without violating US law or preventing the diehard refiller from continuing. Again, Canon has ever right to protect their intellectual property, even when it comes to us little old insignificant DIY home refillers -- To think otherwise is specious.

Epson can do whatever they want as long as it complies with law.

We are fortunate that there is choice and humans have the capacity for invention borne from necessity to find ways to keep refilling merrily.