Why don't US Canon printers have CD trays when Epsons do?

tony22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I remember when this feature first came out, and even Epson would not include it in US versions of their printers. They finally gave in (as I understand it), but is Canon still following that outdated thinking? They must be, as my 8000 Mk.II did not have the CD try in it.

I knew it wouldn't be there when I bought it. Just felt like I needed to rant.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
It has to do with license fees, but most US Canon printers can be easily modified to use CD-trays by modifying the country code and removing the lid covering the CD-tray insertion slot.

tony22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ahem..., hypotethically speaking... how might one do this?

tony22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hmm, I don't get anything on the left side of the webpage with this link (which is where I assume the instructions are). Just a big black box.

Tried it again. Is this some kind of spam producing web site? I figured maybe the first time I didn't wait long enough. But I did this time and all of a sudden I got page upon page of spam thrown at me. I'm hoping that was not your intent.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
tony22

That web page work just fine, it looks like youre the one with the Browser or driver virus problem, besides a guy like jackson would not intentionally lead you to an infected site.
Id say an apology is in order here after all he is the one trying to help YOU. :(

tony22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
No offense meant to Jackson, but when I landed on the site I got multiple items popping onto that webpage, and the sound of multiple clicks which are usually an indication of something bad happening. Moments after that my mouse starting moving on its own. Fairly straighforward cause and effect. My system is and has been otherwise secure. It is regularly scanned and is a limited use machine to begin with - it is not used for random site browsing. The surfacing of anything odd on this machine is incredibly rare.

A simple System Restore took care of whatever problem that was. If it was coincidentally timed with my visit to the url I have no evidence for it, but anything is possible. If this site has not caused similar problems for others then my apologies are certainly extended.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
tony22

Congratulations on getting your system up and running smoothly again and I do hope it doesnt happen again to you.
But no one can be really sure of that nowadays.
Nifty-stuff.com prides itself on being so clean and pure that I would swear its almost Saintly.. :lol: :lol:

tony22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you TH. Sure enough whatever that was, when I tried it from Firefox per Jackson's method I had no problem at all.

Nice to have the instructions! :)

strobemonkey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I tried to open the site and my antivirus blocked it. It says "an intrusion attempt by alamadosdor.com was blocked. HTTP Fragus Toolkit Download Activity. Source address 193.105.207.130 .