why does the epson wf-7620 print so dark?

scottpvaughn

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson wf-7620
Another artist and myself find that both b/w and color images print quite dark... sometimes muddy!... on the epson wf-7620. We love the scanner, but the print function often leaves something to be desired. Any advice? A previous thread? My thanks!

scottpvaughn

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson wf-7620
Its not our monitors; we've printed our work at professional printers, can see it all on multiple platforms (from phones and PCs to tablets), yet for both of us printing images on the Epson Photoshop, but I've got a PC, he has a Mac) gives us darker images. What driver settings might be an issue?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
so what driver settings are you currently using ? - if you use the color adjustment options you have an option for the gamma, the brightness and contrast to adjust - or are you using the icm-profile option ?

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
OK!
Download this "perfect" print and print it.
http://olegratiy.me/test-print-page-pdf.html/printer-test-page-pdf-coloring-pages-arresting-print/
1/Do not alter it in any way in printer software.
2/Printer setting "Let printer manage color". Chose closest paper-type.
If that print looks too dark or bright - Your printer is not behaving properly or not within standard.
Change in printer setup settings until You are satisfied. SAVE SETTINGS!<------
This two steps are just to check the printer. Mostly this gives you an acceptable print.

If OK then to the normal settings in monitor and printing software:
3/ Change "brightness" and "contrast" on the monitors OSD for "darker" values - then in your favorite photo-soft bring it up in software until satisfaction - print the test print - ( now preferably with paper settings and icc-profile)
4/ Let software manage colors.
5/ If you are not satisfied - goto step 3/

Repeat until you are satisfied.

If You have a calibrator for the monitor - start "quick" calibrating with different luminances. Chose
start with i.e. 65 cd/m2 step up in steps of 5 cd/m2 until 100 cd/m2. (or by feeling)
Chose the one that gives a print that have a brightnes that You feel is according to your monitor.
With that liminance - make a more exact calibration.
Save that profile for the monitor. to be used with that very "problem-printer" as the other printers seems to be OK!

Edit:
By the way....
As You have more than one printer - do not use the OSD-setting on the monitor - just "profile" the monitor without touching OSD-settings and let that monitor-profile take care of luminance etc for that very printer otherwise the old monitor-profiles are trash.

Last edited: