Why Compatible cartridges could be a bad thing for our hobby. Long!

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Tin Ho is exactly correct.

My take on the printer comanies is this:

Lexmark makes printers which are poor in quality, do not last long, and are expensive to operate.

HP's cartridges have gotten so small in the last few years, that really, if you don't refill, makes them expensive to operate and frustrating to use for most people since they have to buy cartridges so often.

Epson has slowly eased itself out of the low-end market, and its market share with everyday users is dropping like a stone. With it's famous head-clogging problems and planned obsolescence in some of it's models, many people bought Epsons BECAUSE they knew that they could use lower-cost compatibles, and lessen their operating costs. See you later, Epson....

As for Canon, that is an interesting story. When they began to start gaining market share with the introduction of the "I" series and 1st generation Pixma series, people were delighted to be getting excellent printers that they could run cheaply...and so, Canon grew. Now, greed has obviously gotten to them as well, and as someone who sells printers, I'm fed up with all of the printer manufacturers.

The future looks to Memjet technology for now, and we'll see how that plays out. Laser printing has gotten a lot of deserved bad press recently due to printer emissions which effect health, especially since this 'residue" apparently stays in the lungs.
As I said last year, the market is wide-open for a NEW printer company to emerge. If the company would offer easily refillable, inexpensive inks, and therefore be environmentally friendly, well.....we'd all go that way. Come on entrepreneurs!!!

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
EPSON brainwashing people why ink costs so much "http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1155106670&channel=770797521"
The last 30 seconds they have a few words like monitor calibration and printer, boy they don't really know what a calibration is.

If you wan't your printer to match to your monitor you need to profile your workflow. And demonstrating poster style oversaturated photos isn’t ethical also.

Ink heating has a plus - it gets rid of the germs that may have developped in the 4-6 years you use your bottles :lol: So your prints are unaffected and safe

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Glad that I am not alone in my perception regarding Epson. Thanks guys. Smile, Canon OEM and after market ink can be heated indeed. The ink's boiling point is very high. But heating can lead to vaporizing the water content out of the ink. It may be a good idea to only heat it very quickly then stop.