Why Compatible cartridges could be a bad thing for our hobby. Long!

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The appearance of cheap and readily available compatible cartridges for Canon and Epsons may well be the final straw that breaks the golden egg for us. Why? Isn't competition good. Well yes until it hurts a big player.
There are some trends appearing that could spell the imminent end for these cartridges.
First, some perspective. We know HP is the leader overall in printers and their design with a built in head into cartridge pretty much eliminates compatibles. Same goes for Lexmark. With Canon and Epson, the story is different. Epson in my view saw the light early on and started the chip thing first. Canon sort of stayed behind and I think observed.

We know the strategy employed by these corporations fits consumer behavior to a tee. Basically offer a cheap printer and then the consumer will purchase and they will then buy consumables afterwards. It's not only printers, but is also used in medical devices ( glucose machines), labelers etc. The concept is proven and they must practice it or suffer in the market.

Now every corporation is there to make profit and must have a return on investment. HP, Epson and Canon all took different printer concepts. As it turns out the decision by HP may have been a crucial one that eventually determined the most profitable for the long term. HP makes its profit from selling consumable cartridges and to a large degree they succeed and wil continue to do so because the supply of compatible cartridges is nil for new models and even if people succeed in refilling my guess is on average after three to four refills, another new cartridge is called for. In any case, the consumer will continue to buy albeit at a slower rate. HP maximizes profit because the practice the most efficient market model whereby consumers who want convenience pay the high price and those who are price sensistive do the refill route/ reman route but again the source of all these is really HP.

With Canon and Epson, the situation is different. For many years, those who wanted convenience, bought the new oem cartridge and similarly those who were price sensitive refilled but the cartridges still came from Epson and Canon. the point to note is that the customer who wanted convenience pays the full price for the new cartridge and it goes to Canon.

Now look what happens when Compatibles come to the party. The key revenue source is attacked by the compatibles. The customers that want convenience. Canon is definitely feeling the pain now. The same story goes for Epson. The most lucrative customer is being attacked and they are feeling the pain. With compatibles, every consumer potentially does not have to give Canon any revenue after the initial purchase and remember the printer is sold at low prices. That spells HURT in a big way.

What is Canon to do? Now fortunately for them, their head technology is not totally dissimialr to HP so they can integrate the head into the cartridge for reasonable costs and I predict there will be much more of this. Wrap this is a sponge based cartridge and you've got a reasonably good HP type model.

The situation for Epson is different. The piezo head is a more expensive head and to integrate it would be too costly for a cartridge. I am not surprised that Epson has already announced it will begin departing the low cost printer market because there is no money to be made there and it will concentrate on the more specialized printer segment... read expensive pro models.

So while we enjoy the cheap cartridges I suspect it will only be so for the current and previous generation of printers.

Canon must react to continue to please shareholders and they have to devise ways of securing the most lucrative segment of the market. Hp has already reacted by offering special models in third world markets that cannot be used in NA. That way they offer reasonable printing costs geared to affordability. In a way they also "allow" this with overengineered cartridges that can be refilled a few times. Also the bladder system is gone because sponges are harder to refill and cheaper to manufacture another direction for limiting refills.

Canon and Epson MUST secure their revenues. The only model I see for Epson is to have their chips nonremoveable for their cartridges and introduce a more sophisticated chip for the cartridges that prevent resetting. I believe Canon will have a two fold strategy. Introduce more printers with integrated heads into the cartridges and also embed chips that cannot be reset period. All these cost more to manufacture but it's cost pales in comparison to the lost revenues caused by the compatiibles.

The worst outcome is if cartridges cannot be refilled at all. I think the ability to do so is there but they also recognize that not all consumers belong to the lucrative segment so they have to find a balance. Unfortunately that "balance" keeps tilting to more restrictions.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I think printer manufacturers will continue to make cheap printers and expensive ink as long as they can get away with it. When more of the public realise that there is much cheaper ink available and not at inflated OEM prices, then the manufacturers may have to rethink their policy.

Can you imagine the public reaction if Ford made a motor at a reduced price but with a very small gasoline filler, so that it could only be filled at certain gasoline stations at 10 times the normal gasoline price?

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
A perfect balance would be the following:

Few enough people refilling that there is still incentive for printer companies to continue innovation without the need to chip cartridges, BUT enough people refilling to create a market for quality ink for a select few (maybe the 1500 members of this forum) to refill.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The issue that rears its head is not refilling which companies like HP and Canon have quetly accepted as being "a fact of printer business" as in the past years. So do you agree the cheap compatibles will be the "killer" that will trigger a knee jerk reaction?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I know where you're coming from mikling but one thing you left out in your initial post is that there is legal precedent involved that stops companies from forcing people to use their consumables. Canon will only have provided a means to disable the chip for refillers because of this...

I've mentioned it before but most of what you say makes perfect sense in that Canons chip tech stops 3rd party cartridge manufacturers from jumping on the proverbial bandwagon and being able to undercut the printer manufacturer simply because you have to use their chips..

In truth I think we're finding that the balance you mention is being reached now with Canons latest incarnation... I don't necessarily think they'll go for integrated printheads again but I do think they'll enhance and improve on their chip technology and force aftermarket cartridge providers out of the market..

In a weird way I suspect this may push people more towards lasers and LED technology whilst CIS technology may become more of a norm such as the HP K550...

What would really kick over the apply cart though is if the Epson, et al. continue to set more restrictive precedents in the courts through their various legal actions...

At the end of the day though, what will make or break the whole situation is what the market will accept... No customers = no sales = no profit... and it's the mainstream you've got to keep happy... We'll see.. :)

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I've always wondered about that legal precedent with respect to things like motor oils and parts from electronic items. Going back to printers, HP printers have always forced users to purchase their consumables going back to the 80s. Now that's 20 years of history and no legal losses on HP's part. So why should Canon be concerned? More recently on Epson's part before the code was broken on Intelliedge chips I don't recall any legal heat on Epson as well. In truth, the gov't has more pressing issues.

I don't know the details of the Bill but if a third party can crack the chip protocols and codes, I'm sure Canon will allow them that right to sell compatibles BUT it is possible to make that code hard to crack and Canon may well have done this. Also isn't it illegal to crack security codes?

I wonder if it's like walking into a video store that sells pirate movies and they have a sign that reads " All shoplifters will be prosecuted!" Ahem.... who is stealing first. Ahem.....

alchemist

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The US courts have ruled and refilling is OK, as long as you do not violate a patent or copyrite, while doing so.
The OEMs are patenting refilling methods that may severely limit what the major remanufacturers can do. Applications are being filed on refilling methods. and they claim everyway under the sun, that a cartridge can be refilled. They will not stop the individual refiller from doing so. The are expanding their patent protections in the chip and ink side of the cartridges. If they stop most importations of chips and inks they will have preserved the majority of their market.

I believe that these patents can be engineered around, but in doing so additional costs will be incurred, resulting in more expensive inks and chips. The codes that come on intelligent chips and update printer firmware are going to be the tough ones to work around, but a chip developer friend of mine thinks that this too can be overcome by some additional devices, think additional sales oppertunities for the after market.

I just go my hand on some new HP 02 compatibles and if they work as well as expected, HP will show use some new tricks.

Alchemist

rdhital

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
From the customer point of view what they need is cheaper option. And from what you have said remanufactured cartridges will gain more popularity as the refilling process would get complicated.

canongrrrr

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
mikling said:
The appearance of cheap and readily available compatible cartridges for Canon and Epsons may well be the final straw that breaks the golden egg for us. Why? Isn't competition good. Well yes until it hurts a big player. There are some trends appearing that could spell the imminent end for these cartridges.
*sniff*. I feel so bad now! Poor widdle Canon and HP. Does anyone have a link so I can paypal a donation to them? :rolleyes:

Give me a break. These are *huge* companies making massive profits, using monopolistic practices to artificially jack ink prices *way* higher than what logically makes sense or the market would set. As I posted in the other topic, it is now cheaper to buy a brand new ip4200 printer including ink than it is to buy a set of new ink cartridges. Better evidence of price gouging could not be found.

It wasn't cheap cartridge competition that caused them to implement these monopolistic policies. It was pure and simple greed.

There's more than enough profit to be made by simply competing head to head. Provide a better ink, a better name, as long as the price isn't 10x the el-cheapo's, customers will remain loyal. It's only because they overcharge so massively that they had a mass exodus to third party inks.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Many latest HP printers use cartridges with tiny amount of ink that's not enough for a few test prints before finalizing my photos. You will hate it the moment you completed your tweaking of colors you find the you have run out of ink when you are just about to print it out. Buyers of these printers will probably toss them out to the landfill when they found they can buy another printer at a lower cost than buying replacement cartridges.

DON'T BUY PRINTERS WITH SUCH TINY INK CARTRIDGES. Buy printers that are refillable. Save the environment and keep your pocket full to pay for refills. As someone said everyone should be entitled to choose consumables when you buy a certain brand of product. GM can not tell you to fill up only with GM brand of fuel if you buy a GM.