Why clear cartridges on the Canon Pro-100?

crenedecotret

Print Addict
Reaction score
I might be going to the US at the end of the month, i'll keep an eye open, I thought the current aggressive prices in the states were mail in rebates. I don't think they would respect those for a US bought printer brought back to Canada

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
you will need an address based in the usa to ship the printer to. the same one that you would ship the us printer to can be used for the rebate.
the rebate is in us dollars and comes not in a cheque but a credit/debit card. I am not sure if Canadian retailers would be good for it. But if you travel to the USA, then it will be good in the future.
Keep in mind that the rebates etc. are all processed in the USA. You'll need to treat it as if you were living in the USA.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
There's one other point too. The rebate card is a debit card in the name of the buyer. After a few months they start adding service charges. I think you will need an accomplice in the U.S. to take advantage of this. I suggest trading printers for prescription drugs. :he

crenedecotret

Print Addict
Reaction score
how about maple syrup? There is a sugar shack a mile away from my house ;)

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
I doubt that cost of tooling is a reason for Canon to make non opaque cartridges for Pro-100 and Pro-10. Just look at the printers and see how many tooling tasks are required for each new printer they make. Whoever makes the cartridges for Canon (in Japan) will do it under Canon's specification of the cartridges. Whether they are opaque or not makes little or no difference in terms of cost.

diyandsave$

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I believe Tin Ho has a point. Changing the color of the plastic to opaque is cheap and doesn't involve a change in tooling. although using up new old stock would keep clear carts in the pipeline until they ran out and then opaque carts could be introduced as a running change.

The up side to this is the continued availability of cli-8 carts, and maybe more retailers carrying a stock of the full color set. Not that refillers care:rolleyes:

DYI.

diyandsave$

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Oh, I see that the cli-8 itself is being reused. Just the shell?:(

DYI.