Who makes profiles for secific ink and paper

esp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have a Canon mp 610 and use precision ink for my refills. I also use Canon photo Paper Glossy for my pictures.

My wife is never happy with quality because shading is off. She insists on going to the local pharmacy and uses there machine to print out photos. I admit they look better but only because of shading/saturation difference's.

Can someone recommend a few quality sites that offer a custom profile service?

Thanks

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I suggest getting profile prism. For the price of a few profiles you can do them yourself, and for the most parts it works excellently. Plus you can profile for different papers. Also it's important to calibrate your monitor, profile prism helps with that too.

siusiuenen

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
If i'm not wrong that you got ink from Milk . You should contact him for your profile as his offered .

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Profiling is too expensive and too complicated. Besides, keep in mind that if the ink has a limitation in its gamut. Profiling can not make an ink to print the colors that are outside of its gamut. If the color of shadow is off it is unlikely to be a gamut problem. Rather it is a color balance issue. Sometimes a bluish shadow is just the way it is supposed to be. If you shoot under blue sky conditions your shadow can be bluish. Bluish shadow can be easily adjusted.

An easier solution is to edit the image to adjust the colors. You may need to adjust, print, re-adjust and print again several times before getting it right. You will figure out how much to adjust and hit it right in one adjustment eventually. The best editor is of course Photoshop. But many (some are free in fact) image editing software can be equally simple for making such color adjustment.

Do a nozzle check and see if the problem is in the printer itself. If there is a clogged channel the color balance will be way off.

RogerB

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro3880
nche11 said:
Profiling is too expensive and too complicated. Besides, keep in mind that if the ink has a limitation in its gamut. Profiling can not make an ink to print the colors that are outside of its gamut. If the color of shadow is off it is unlikely to be a gamut problem. Rather it is a color balance issue. Sometimes a bluish shadow is just the way it is supposed to be. If you shoot under blue sky conditions your shadow can be bluish. Bluish shadow can be easily adjusted.
It's true of course that every ink set has limitations in its gamut, but using the wrong profile, as the OP is doing, often fails to achieve the maximum gamut of the ink set. Using the wrong profile will definitely alter the rendering of in-gamut colours, whicih is the real problem here.

nche11 said:
An easier solution is to edit the image to adjust the colors. You may need to adjust, print, re-adjust and print again several times before getting it right. You will figure out how much to adjust and hit it right in one adjustment eventually. The best editor is of course Photoshop. But many (some are free in fact) image editing software can be equally simple for making such color adjustment.
The problem with this approach is that you will have to "adjust" virtually every image depending on the image content. The colour balance of third-party inks differs in subtle ways from that of OEM inks for which the generic profiles were made. Non-linearity is almost impossible to adjust out using trial and error. Most people in this situation find that profiling solves the problem more cheaply than constant adjusting. You don't say where you are located, but in the UK for example you can get a good custom profile for 14. Is that too expensive when you consider the frustration you are suffering now? It's a one-off cost that you offset against the savings that you are making on ink.

nche11 said:
Do a nozzle check and see if the problem is in the printer itself. If there is a clogged channel the color balance will be way off.
You should, naturally, ensure that the printer is working correctly, and a nozzle check is the most basic step in this. Assuming the nozzle check is perfect, it is always a good idea to print one of the "standard" test images that are feely available on the web since it takes other factors , like monitor calibration, out of the loop. Do it before and after custom profiling and see the difference.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
esp said:
Yes, I did do get my ink from Milk
Good typo.

But does Mikling make teeth healthier and bones stronger? I hear his coat is shiny.

:D

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The links work but since the download service is free, you need to not follow the most obvious since that is their source of revenue. You should choose the more discreet free download button and wait a few secs. Then again there is also the link for a plethora of profiles.

esp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Sorry for the typo ... :D

Ok, I downloaded it Thanks. I guess I'll have to get different paper. No big deal really as long as the pictures look better.