White Inkjet Ink printing question.

Gary O'Brien Jr

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixima pro 100
Hello, I currently own and use a Canon Pixima Pro-100.

I am trying to print on some non standard substrates, like transparencies or holographic foils.
To do this I first treat them with Ink-aid brand coatings which seem to work fine.

The only problem when doing this is obviously you need white behind what you are printing to see the image the way it is intended to look. I have decided the only way I will really be able to do this is run through my print twice, first pass being the spot white ink layer where I want the image to print, and the second time the image itself onto the white.

I know there are expensive printers like the Epson Stylus WT-7900 which can print white ink and the image all in one pass. The issue is though that it too expensive.

So my question is. Would this work: I buy a second Canon Pixima Pro 100. I also purchase a refillable ink container system for it. I then buy the white ink cartridge that the Epson Stylus WT-7900 uses. I use the ink in that cartridge to fill up the cartridges that go in my 2nd Pixima Pro. I then print my images first on that Pixima so that anywhere my image is only white ink prints onto it. Then I print the image again using the color inks on my normal Pixima pro.

Thanks for your time in advance for helping me with my issue.- Gary

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think there is one more reason not to use the white ink. It is most likely pigment ink and the Pro-100 is a dye ink printer and attempting to use a pigment ink will clog the print head.

Last edited:

Gary O'Brien Jr

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixima pro 100
Thank you so much for your replies. So If I am understanding correctly,
what if I was to purchase an Epson Surecolor p400.
It looks to be an Epson printer that uses " UltraChrome® HG2 pigment ink".
So if I was to buy a refill kit for this printer, and fill them with the White Pigment ink for the Epson WT 7900 do you see any reasons why that wouldn't work?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Gary O'Brien Jr, That would work in theory, but you may still have problems trying to print in white only, a bit more thinking maybe needed..

INKJET ARTIST

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP 345
Hello, I currently own and use a Canon Pixima Pro-100.

I am trying to print on some non standard substrates, like transparencies or holographic foils.
To do this I first treat them with Ink-aid brand coatings which seem to work fine.

The only problem when doing this is obviously you need white behind what you are printing to see the image the way it is intended to look. I have decided the only way I will really be able to do this is run through my print twice, first pass being the spot white ink layer where I want the image to print, and the second time the image itself onto the white.

I know there are expensive printers like the Epson Stylus WT-7900 which can print white ink and the image all in one pass. The issue is though that it too expensive.

So my question is. Would this work: I buy a second Canon Pixima Pro 100. I also purchase a refillable ink container system for it. I then buy the white ink cartridge that the Epson Stylus WT-7900 uses. I use the ink in that cartridge to fill up the cartridges that go in my 2nd Pixima Pro. I then print my images first on that Pixima so that anywhere my image is only white ink prints onto it. Then I print the image again using the color inks on my normal Pixima pro.

Thanks for your time in advance for helping me with my issue.- Gary

You can try with clear adhesive ink and white Developer in powder. First print with adhesive inkjet ink. Threat wet printout with White Developer then print on white back ground.
In fact thing are not as simple as it sounds since you need to threat that white developer with heat. So your printing medium should be heat resistant.

Attachments

• DTG-White-3 on DARK.jpg
    DTG-White-3 on DARK.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 377
  • TATTOO_1_XL.jpg
    TATTOO_1_XL.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 320