Which SSD to buy?

SkedAddled

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO-100, MG5320, Xerox 6027
There is another aspect with SSD's, the long term data retention period - about no data is available about this parameter, just this old article
If I'm remembering correctly, this article had something to offer about that.

Even though the content is from 2013, it's a very informative read
about longevity and endurance of SSDs.

And because it dates from about 6 years ago, I'd expect the industry
has improved on many of the points mentioned.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
After 3 years my Samsung 850 EVO has 15TB written, warranty is 150TB, still 27 years to go :mad:.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
if your computer doesn’t match it for speed then you’re better off with a normal high spin hard drive
Not so fast, dog whisperer. Swapping a mechanical hard drive with a SSD drive makes a significant and noticeable difference in boot and app load times that even my brother's wife noticed immediately. Yes, she knows nothing about computers and only cares that she can do internet, facebook and email.

PS She's Irish, too. :frow

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
CPU:

Intel Core i9 Extreme 7980XE @ 2.6 GHz (18 cores, 36 threads); Mega Tasking enabled
A tad overkill for Mine Sweeper. :D

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
That's why I haven't done the SSD upgrade yet.
Suggest getting the Samsung SSD then clone your mechanical HDD onto the SSD using Samsung's Data Migration tool. Your original HDD is untouched, and, if all goes right, your SSD is an exact replica ready to be installed and booted from. 30 Days to test out Windows 10 if you upgrade or clean install onto the SSD before an easy return to Windows 8.1 (the original OS on the HDD). And, remember, your original HDD still has the untouched OS, apps and data as before you cloned it to the SSD.

SkedAddled

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO-100, MG5320, Xerox 6027
remember, your original HDD still has the untouched OS, apps and data as before you cloned it to the SSD.
Any advice to offer on similar, from a crashed HDD?
I've a Seagate 2TB drive which failed suddenly, which is why I've recently moved to SSDs.

I've been trying the Linux 'ddrescue' utility to recover, but it's been some time now,
and I'm unable to confirm if I have a persistent memory on the USB drive
for the recovery attempts to continue where stopped.

The failed drive contains some documents and pictures I'd like to recover,
but it won't end my world if I can't

Just wondering if anyone has experience with such a process...

This seems like a fairly good location to post.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have bought the Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB and installed it in the computer, just no cables connected to it yet, so I can start the cloning or fresh install anytime.

If the free upgrade to Win 10 is not official but only works because somebody forgot to order a reprogramming of the activation servers, can you then go back to your old OS within the 30 day trial period? And what is the procedure to go back? Can I do a clean reinstall of Win 8,1 after going back or will the Win 8.1 key have been cancelled or transferred to Win 10?