Which printserver for Canon MP830 multifunctional ?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I am going to replace my beloved Canon MP780 with a Canon MP830. The problem is the printer is to be attached to a network, but for this I need a special dedicated printserver which can handle scanner operations. Most cheap printserver only support printing (unidirectional data transfer).

I was first thinking about buying a Canon MX850, which already is network based, but the scanner is inferior to the MP830 (CIS versus CCD).

Should I choose the MP830 with a dedicated printserver or the cheaper alternative, the MX850 which is already network based, but with inferior CIS scanner ? If I choose the MP830, which printserver should I choose that is actually supporting the scanner and fax ?

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have a D-Link DI-704P printserver (wired) for my i550 and Asus WL-520GU (wireless) for my iP4500. The generic printserver can only handle traffic in one direction - From PC to Printer. This is because each printer manufacturer has its own protocol to send data back to the PC. Unless Canon has a printserver, it will be difficult for you to find a printserver to send scan data back to PC. Both of my printservers cannot get the ink level information in the cartridges.

Therefore, it is better to buy all-in-one printer with wired or wireless network connection.

Edit:
I flashed my Asus WL-520GU with the DD-WRT firmware which is a Linux base OS. I am looking for driver to send ink level information to PC. When I have time, I may view at the DD-WRT printserver drive source code to determine what is needed to pass data back to PC.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
jflan said:
I've never used it, but I have seen this one recommended for Canons...
http://estore.usa.canon.com/webapp/...0051&storeId=10051&productId=141465&langId=-1

Myself, I would probably go for the MX850.
I have this on my own MP830 and also have the 6200U (wired only) version on a number of iP4200 and ip4300 units... They are quite costly but they work perfectly and never had any problems with them.

Scanning is handled through a client which you'd need to install on any computer that need to use them... oh and you can't setup the ports for printing over remote desktop (not that you're likely to but it borked things for me)... Definitely a good option to consider though.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Jflan,

thanks for your reply. How about scanning a book with the MX850 ? With my older MP780 (CCD scanner) the letters from the inner area curving towards the middle are still very sharp and I can scan a watch on the fladbed without any problems and still keeping the very fine details of the backplate of the watch and the front without any blurring appearance seen with CIS scanners. I am a bit afraid the MX850 won't get scanner results as good as one can do with the MP780 or the MP830.

Why did Canon not produce a Canon MP830L (L for Lan) ? This is quite stupid for such a good AIO and they ended up with a downgrade with the MX850 with inferior CIS technology.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
pharmacist,

Perhaps a local merchant has a MX850 display model that you could try ?

websnail,

Thanks for the backup.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Jflan,

thanks for your reply. After thinking about the (dis)advantages I decided to go for the Canon MX850 and will pick it up today. The printing quality of photo's seems to be a bit better (IP4500 printhead) than the MP830 (IP5200 printhead) and can do smoother tonal transitions. Not really important with a desktop printer, but a nice "have it"

No longer headaches about the right printserver to work with....

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
In my opinion the best print server is an old or a low-cost computer (practically anything with a Pentium-III or better is good enough). You can share the printer (with much greater spooling space) and you can use Scangear to share the scanner.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Using an old PC as print server is another option. But when you consider the cost of electricity, it may not be cost effective in the long run. Let say an old PC draws 100W. It uses 2.4kWh per day. If it costs you 10 cents per kWh, you are paying 24 cents a day ($87 a year). It uses only 3-4W when Canon printer sleeps.

Most of the newer PC has the "wake on LAN" feature. You may want to enable this feature at the BIOS so that the PC will be sleeping most of the time.

I have an energy meter to tell me how much electricity a device uses.
http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Meter-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1237052563&sr=8-1

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Darn.. completely forgot option #2... which was a USB server... Originally there was only the Keyspan thing out there (and that had problems) but now Belkin and a few others have units out there which should do the same job without needing the same level of expense.

Just a last minute thought... :)

@jflan: No problemo... I've been using the silex/procomm print servers for a while now and they are rather good :)