which printer ?

melvyn84

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I simply need to match a reasonably priced inkjet printer with cheap cartridges. My Canon 250i is an example - but hey crafty Canon don't make the i range anymore ,I guess the company wasn't making enough money from the cartridges !

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I believe you mean the i250.

That may use cheap cartridges but they don't hold much ink and when one color runs out, you have to replace the whole cartridge.

Unfortunately, the new Canon printers used chipped cartridges which ups the price, but there are new and used Canon printers that don't use chipped cartridges and so compatibles are very cheap. I would suggest the iP3000 if you are satisfied with the printouts you get from the i250, or you could go for the iP4000 which produces better photo prints. Both of these are available on eBay. Some people have spotted them for very cheap prices at yard sales and in thrift shops.

melvyn84

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Sorry for slip - of course I meant i250 printer.I have two such printers sitting idle needing urgent attention.Message on both indicates waste ink reservoirs full.Where is reservoir located and how do I clean out ?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Generally, you don't have to actully clean them out, you just have to push some buttons to tell the printer to reset its counter of how much ink is in the waste tanks. Here is a link that discusses this but you have to scroll way down to find the part about reset or search on waste until you find it:

http://www.inkjethelper.com/inkjetstuff11.html

According to this website, if you continue to print without resetting them when the warning comes up, eventually when the printer refuses to print, you no longer will be able to reset the counter.