Which multifunction (integrated fax) is best?

chippedoff

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello.

Recently an aquaitence of mine bought a Canon MP830. I had told them to get the 780 instead. Anything to avoid the chipped cartridges. However the 780 was no where to be found.

I have a ip4200 so i know what a pain the PGI/CLI cartridges can be.

Unfortunately epson does not have a MF with integrated fax.

However i was thinking of just using the Comptuer's fax modem with direct print.

Problem is that i don't know if the new standard 5 or 6 colour Epson MF's can have their chips reset by ex. the F-16 chip resetter.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Hmm... this is a bit of a tough one really especially as I now have an MP830 of my own, have used an MP500 (yeah I know, no fax) and also have an MP750 (likewise, no fax).

The MP500 and MP750 have/had very fast scanning abilities and their photocopying is excellent.. I'm not quite so enamoured with the MP830 as the scanner spends a fair amount of time warming up and as a result isn't all that great for one of copies.. Printing quality and speed is excellent and really comparable with the other two models (although it's supposed to be better and slightly faster).

You could do worse and might want to try out an MP530 as I'm sure that's pretty good, has all the same bells and whistles albeit slower and with less panache..

Oh and as for the Epsons, in all honesty if the new batch of MFP's from Epson are anything like the CX6600 I fixed up for my other half, I wouldn't recommend them. The volume of waste ink, service life (3 months for a service required message from reset with medium use!! :eek:) and its tendancy to clog quicker than the dyebase... I'd pass.

and because I'm a muppet and haven't read your post properly... the answer to this:
Problem is that i don't know if the new standard 5 or 6 colour Epson MF's can have their chips reset by ex. the F-16 chip resetter.
The newest printers from Epson come with completely new chips that are not as far as I'm aware compatible with resetters, 3rd party chips or cartridges... The ink type to watch out for is the "Claria" range which has an extra connector on the chip plus a sensor in the cartridge. Not sure about the MFP's but just a heads up for you to be sure..

chippedoff

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

I looked at the mp150 and 530, and i agree that the earlier 500 and 750 were better at scanning (time wise).

The integrated fax is what makes the 830 MFP's so much more expensive.

I've purchased several older Stylus colour epson printers as they were and still are the best.

I'l stick to my ip3000, Though i wish that now after three years some one would have come up with a solution to the
encrypted canon chips.

Another aquaintence of mine got a HP 1116 MFP, Same problems with refilling as Canon with chips.

Thanks again for the info and the chat.

It's apreciated.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
There are lots of refurbished Canon MP780 all-in-ones on ebay for $165 plus $49 shipping and a few brand new ones for $300 plus $40 shipping.

There are also some cheaper used ones but I wouldn't trust the shipping unless it is in the original box.