drajith

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
My preferences are

1. Cheaper

2. Refillable

3. Comes with a full refillable toner which can take about 2000+ prints

4. Good Warranty and service in INDIA

5. How much the cheapest DUPLEX printer which is available in India will cost?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
A cheap laser printer recommended on the forum is the Brother HL-2140 but it does not have Duplex. It comes with a cartridge good for 1500 pages but you can refill it for 2500 pages. See this link. You can get a refill kit here.

colour

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Get one that has a drum and toner all in one. With the brother when you have to get a drum it will cost you more than the printer. I have refilled a Samsung 1710 cartridge just by pulling out a cap and pouring toner in so they seem to be pretty easy. You will have to get a new toner now and again as the drum in them does wear out very so often.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I just got an email from Staples announcing a special buy on the Brother HL-2140 for $120 but it's also available for $70 in their weekly ad. Fortunately, when you click on the email link, it let's you know that there is a $50 instant saving so the price ends up the same. Still, you'd think they would let you know in the email about the instant savings that are available only for this week.

TheTonerGuy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have to agree with ghwellsjr. Brother laser printers are the best in general for easy quality refilling. However, if you need duplexing, you should consider the HL-2270. We use it for ALL our black printing and it has proven to be the best printer we have ever had.

Here's why I like Brother Laser Printers:

1) Price: They start as low as about $100

2) If handled with care, the toner cartridge will last virtually forever. We have already refilled ours over 6 times.

3) Drum units, even if expensive are totally worth it because they last a very long time. There is also a reset procedure that allows you to reuse the drum unit. Ours was reset 2 months ago and is still going strong. Because the aftermarket toner for Brother is very dark and dense, I suspect that a drum unit can easily last 2-3 times its rated life. Cartridges with built in drums can ONLY be refilled 2-4 times on average. The Brother drum unit should last about 10-15 refill cycles (in my estimate). That makes the drum units very cost effective even at a high price.

4) Toner for Brother HL-2270 or HL-2140 is low priced and very high quality. I have seen a lot of toners over the years and I am truly impressed with the quality of the aftermarket toner for these new Brother models.

5) The starter cartridge that comes with the printer can be converted to a high capacity TN-450 cartridge by simply adding a gear for $5.99

6) The toner cartridge is very easy to refill from the toner cap on the side. No hole making required.

I wanted to include links to youtube for educational videos but since I am new to this forum, the system won't let me. Therefore, please go to youtube and type "TN-450" you will see how easy it is to refill the Brother cartridges.

drajith, I hope this information will help you to choose the best printer for your needs.

TheTonerGuy

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
With a name like TheTonerGuy maybe he knows something about toner refilling? :idunno

fish

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have the 2170 - wireless version of the 2140. Family prints to centrally located printer. Loww cost and easy to refill (same cart as 2140). Great printer!

obxlinda

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks so much fish and TonerGuy!

We've been refilling inkjet printer cartridges for years and need to get a new network printer. Bc we just print B&W, someone suggested a laser.

Looks like Brother 2170 has been replaced by HL2270DW Wireless Monochrome Printer. $118 and I haven't even shopped around yet!

sorry drajith - no duplex

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I use HP LaserJet P1005 for like 2 years now and haven't had any problems with it. Haven't refiled the toner cartridges though, because the compatible cartridges are pretty cheap.