Which is the best home inkjet printer?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
jondave said:
I highly doubt inkjets on refills can beat a color laser on refills on actual cost per page.
I've only heard that color laser was more expensive than inkjet refilling. Can you provide a comparison of your costs for inkjet and color laser please?

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
From what I've seen, color laser manufacturers have long gone the way of inkjets and a lot of them sell junky printers with toner cartridges even more expensive than inks. Also, I've found that most aftermarket toner suppliers are so expensive (usually only 25% off or less than OEM prices) that it's really not worth buying refill toner vs just buying aftermarket prefilled.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
aaa said:
Which is the best beer? :p
The one I'm drinking at that moment.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
jondave
I highly doubt inkjets on refills can beat a color laser on refills on actual cost per page.
Lets start with your doubts on the actual cost per page first, try running off one or two thousand sheets
from you colour laser and then judge the actual cost per sheet, I have.
but your preference doesn't mean that inkjets are cheaper, unless you've actually owned a color laser printer
Now my preferences are for inkjets as stated previous over colour lasers because
I did indeed use an A3+ Oki Postscript digital printer for over two years.
Last I heard the only thing color lasers can't do well is print professional-quality photos.
There is no dispute over the newer colour laser printers output quality and it comes at a premium price
but only on specially selected papers and quality Photos are just a non starter totally.
How come mono lasers only? Refilled color toners cost the same.
The answer is in your own question, multiplied by a much larger factor for colour use.
I have a color laser printer and the only effort I exert to use it is to press the power switch
There is no dough that colour laser printers have a good role to play in day to day home use
but again their quality is nowhere near that of an inkjet.

I had the same debate about quality dot matrix printers before when a guy taught that they too were better than owning an inkjet printer.

I like to use good colour laser printers sometimes they are easy and simple but
I Love inkjets by a country mile, its horses for courses as far as I am concerned.
stratman The one I'm drinking at that moment.
Youll be trying to fill up your cartridges with it too if you drink too much of that lovely booze tonight..

jondave

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My colour laser on refill toners run at 2.5 cents per page ($0.025/page).

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
paulabell said:
I would like to buy a new printer. Iam having two childen. one studying in 10th standard and other in 8th. My son in 10th has many projects and so pictures and cover pages to print. he also may have to print other pages for school. my daughter in 8th also prints pictures and articles.I myself also will print articles and forms.
The Epson WorkForce 630 is a good printer/scanner/photocopier with the option to buy high quality original ink at a relatively high price or aftermarket ink (probably of lower quality) or refillable cartridges which seem very easy to refill with high quality ink.

Hope it helps.

Callum

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
After years of HP's which I used to find great for refilling and keeping costs low, I had found them increasingly temperemental and difficult. I bought a Canon Pixma MP499 and have found it great. One problem the Hp's gave me was gobbling up extra sheets when you did non-automatic back to back printing but the Canon separates sheets really well. But the main plus point if you want to do a lot of printing and keep costs low is it is also very very good for refilling - you do have to drill the printheads - I did that using a simple corkscrew, but after they are drilled you can refill very easily. I don't even need to stop up the holes for the ink - simply take out of the printer, syringe in the ink and put back. sometimes the print head, especially if the ink has run out, is slow to get the ink going through but a little water on the print head and dab it off seems to do the trick. a million times better than recent attempts with HP!. Print quality may not be as good as a more expensive model but acceptable for most purposes. Highly recommended.

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
One interesting thing I've seen are the cheaper HP printers that take the 564 cartridges. The system looks very much like a Canon, down to the drop-in printhead separate from the ink tanks, and a big orange cover you twist off of the cartridges.