Which is my best buy Canon IP3500 or Canon IP1800 or....

Wouter

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello,

Please allow me as a being new to this forum to ask you again a question. Please excuse my English. I spent hours to go through the Inernet to find the right Inkjet printer. Still I do not have the answer: which printer I should buy. I am getting closer though and think to buy either the Canon IP3500 for 72Euros or the Canon IP1800 for 40Euros.

Please help me to make the right decision.

My needs are:
1) I have a home office and need a printer for my laptop.
2) My space is limited and so is my budget.
3) Most of my printing is documents / letters (maximum 20 pages per week)
4) Speed is not important (I may only print 3 - 4 letters a day and like to print my own colored stationary

Can anyone advise me which printer will be my best option to buy?

Thank you so much for your advise and help,
Wouter

PS: does anyone know a good printer review site?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Wouter said:
Hello,

Please allow me as a being new to this forum to ask you again a question. Please excuse my English. I spent hours to go through the Inernet to find the right Inkjet printer. Still I do not have the answer: “which printer I should buy”. I am getting closer though and think to buy either the Canon IP3500 for 72Euros or the Canon IP1800 for 40Euros.

Please help me to make the right decision.

My needs are:
1) I have a home office and need a printer for my laptop.
2) My space is limited and so is my budget.
3) Most of my printing is documents / letters (maximum 20 pages per week)
4) Speed is not important (I may only print 3 - 4 letters a day and like to print my own colored stationary

Can anyone advise me which printer will be my best option to buy?

Thank you so much for your advise and help,
Wouter

PS: does anyone know a good printer review site?
The 3500 features single ink technology. Single Ink technology - 4 separate ink tanks (PGI-5BK, CLI-8C, CLI-8M, CLI-8Y) and 1800 features integrated print head, 2 heads one color CMY and the other pigment black.

So 3500 will be much more economical to run as you can replace/refill the color that has run out only.
If you don't need color printer consider laser it's the least expensive way to print letters.

Wouter

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Dear Smile,

Thank you for responding. You seem to know printers.

Do you really think that a laser printer will be justified with only max 20 pages per week? Do you think of all availeble printers on the market the Canon IP3500 is a good buy for me?

Thanks again,
Wouter

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The 3500 will be fine for your task. The black cart will print 500 pages on normal mode and 1500 on draft mode. Since space is a factor being able to fill the bottom feeder with paper is a great, I have mail and my phone on top of the printer so the top feeder is blocked off but I can still print quickly using the bottom feeder.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Wouter said:
Dear Smile,

Thank you for responding. You seem to know printers.

Do you really think that a laser printer will be justified with only max 20 pages per week? Do you think of all availeble printers on the market the Canon IP3500 is a good buy for me?

Thanks again,
Wouter
Laser would solve any clog problems you may have with any inkjet printer, but good inkjet will serve you well too :)
Don't forget to print at least nozzle check every week to minimise the risk of clogged nozzles. If you plan to refill you quality ink like Inktec, search the forum you will find other good ink suppliers too.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
If you only need black printing done you should consider a laser printer. Printing black text only on the ip4500 works just fine. The problem is that all inkjet printers run cleaning cycles to keep the printhead free from dried up ink. The automatic cleaning cycles will ultimately empty your color cartridges, even though you never print color. These are considered multi-purpose printers (not to be confused with multi-function printers with scanners, faxing, etc,) They do very good text AND photo printing. If you only need text printing and are really concerned about ongoing costs I would suggest a laser printer.

Wouter

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses. If I would chose for a laser which one should you suggest. It is said that the initial cost are rather high compaired i.e. to a Canon IP3500 which I can by in France for 72 Euros.

Thank you for your response.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I've seen laser printers on sale for $!00 or less, up to $1,000 or more. Go to your nearest large computer store that has units on display (and hopefully set up for demonstration) and see which ones meet your needs. Then check out the online reviews. I don't know if Steve's digicam reviews includes laser printers. Because of the inkjet cleaning cycles using all colors of inks, you may have less consumeable costs with the laser, even though the initial cost may be much more. The only way to beat the costs on the ip4500 is to refill your cartridges yourself. You will still need to have a reserve set of cartridges on hand, and this set will cost more than half the cost of the printer.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
If inkjets are refilled they can make good environmental sense. Lasers consume significantly more power and could also possibly ( I say possibly as it is controversial) be harmful to you healthwise.

Now if I added up all the lasers in the world and how much extra electricity they consume, I'll come up with quite at least a few million barrels of oil.... that could be interesting.

One of the requirements is that a small amount of colored printing is necessary for personal stationery. This will easily tip the scale to the inkjet.

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Looking at the specs of Laser vs Inkjet:

Inkjet = 13 watts

Laser = 1200 watts

That means 92 inkjets for ever Laser !!!!