which inkjet printer can do this...please help!

snowboarder

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I would like to print on a paper which is 50-100mm (0.5 centimeter but max. 1 centimeter) thick. Which color inkjet printer can do this?? I am very desperate please help!
Thank you in advance!

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Snowboarder,

I think that you have a mixup in your units:
1. 50-100mm is equal to 5-10 centimeters, not 0.5-1
2. Your little finger is about one centimeter (10 mm) thick - this as thick as construction plywood. Your hand is about 100 mm wide.
3. Most photo paper is in the range of 0.15 to 0.25 mm thick (150 to 250 microns).
4. The backing on most paper tablets is about 0.5 to 1 mm thick (probably what you intended). There are some printers that can print on specialty papers with this thickness, but only if the paper is "soft" enough to bend when it goes through the printer. A tablet back is too stiff to feed through consumer inkjet printers.

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
To Snowboarder,

Your cited metric conversions are off-----a meter is 39.37 inches---a centemeter is 1/100 or 0.3937 inches---and a millimeter is a thousands of a meter of 0.03937" So
100mm is ten centemeters------or nearly four inches thick.

But to somewhat dodge the question--if you have extremely thick stock---why not print on a much thinner piece of paper and simply glue the thinner stock onto the thick stock. When you get paper that thick its simply won't make the bends required to go through most printers---unless the paper path is extremely straight. And even then the gap between the paper and printhead is likely to be less than zero.

snowboarder

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Dear Grandad...

You are right! Sorry for my mistake. I meant 5 mm (0,5 cm).

Unfortunatelly the board is not very flexible. So probably the printer should be a flat one...

Osage: as the surface is printable i wouldnt want to wast time and money on gluing the paper on this surface...

I also checked the weight for these thick papers and I found the following:
the 0.45 mm thick paper corresponds to be 380 gr.

So..back to my old question..are there inkjet printers which can print on this special paper??

Thank you again!

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Snowboarder,

Here is an Epson printer that wil print on up to 1.3 mm thick substrates (but probably not if they are stiff):
http://www.theboyz.biz/product_info.php?products_id=96009

I have never seen an inkjet that could handle 5 mm thick stock. There might be commercial units that could do this, but I am not aware of any.

Osage described a good (and maybe the only practical) option to print on this substrate.

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
In terms of wasting time and money ---you are likely to waste far more time and money finding a printer capable of what you want---but you can call various printer manufacters or commercial printers and seeing if any have anything to fit your needs.

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
You also need to consider if your thick paper is suitable for inkjet printing. Paper for inkjet printer need to have the special coating in order to produce the desired colors. If your thick paper is just like plain paper don't expect it to produce vivid colors from photos. You may need to print on thin inkjet paper first, as osage suggested, then glue the print to your thick paper for the desired image quality.

DRoss

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hahnemuhle photo rag satin 310 is .5mm thick and goes through my I9900 just fine and is not a strait path. The paper is not all that stiff though.

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Snowboarder's particular paper is 5 mm thick. If it is not coated with the inkjet paper coating I will say it's not worth the effort to find a special printer that can do it. Pigment based ink is a another story though. It may be fine to print on any surface if the ink is pigment based.

snowboarder

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Dear all....this paper I use is for printing on it! I checked it before of course. It is specially developed for inkjet printing.