Which Canon models use CLI-42?

dannno

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
I have a Lexmark printer that decided not to work after a Windows 10 update. I'm thinking of replacing it. (It is used occasionally, and is not my primary home printer). I'm using a Pro-100 at the office, and refilling my CLI-42's . Are there other Canon printers that use the CLI-42? I don't have space for a Pro 100.
Dan

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The CLI-42 cartridges are only used in the Canon Pro 100. But maybe you can get the Lexmark printer working in Windows 10 by installing the printer driver in compatibility mode for the newest OS that it supports. See this thread.

dannno

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
Thanks, Peter. I'll give that a try when I have some time....

dannno

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
I tried the windows 8 driver, no luck. I'll try windows 7 one next.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
What Lexmark model do you have?

Did you try installing the Lexmark drivers with or without Windows 10 "Compatability Mode"?

dannno

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
X2690. I did not see an option for Compatibility mode....

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Compatibility mode is a setting in Windows, not a property of the driver. According to this Lexmark suggests to use a Win 8 or 8.1 driver for your printer. Remember to download the proper version, 32 or 64 bit.

To run the downloaded driver in compatibility mode for Win 8, right-click the downloaded driver and select properties. Click the compatibility tab and go down to the drop down menu "Run this program in compatibility mode for" (or what it might be called in English, my Windows language is Danish) and select Win 8 (or 8.1 if available). I hope this works, it has often worked with old Canon and HP printers for me.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
There are drivers for the Lexmark X2690 for Windows 8 and 7 here. Try Windows 8 version of the drivers first as it is the most current.

First, uninstall all Lexmark X2690 apps then reboot. Then try installing the Windows 8 version of the printer driver. Make sure you are using the correct 32-bit or 64-bit version that compliments your version of Windows 10.

If a straight forward installation of the Windows 8 Lexmark driver fails then make sure to uninstall anything that has completed a partial/failed installation, reboot, and install using Compatibility Mode as PeterBJ recommends. Scroll halfway down the page of this link for instructions with images of the menus for additional guidance. The link's images show the settings for running the app in Windows 8 compatibility mode, exactly what you want to do with the Windows 8 version of the Lexmark driver.

Be sure to follow the customary instructions for setting up the printer as if a first time install. I don't know about Lexmark, but Canon printers are very fussy about the order you install the software, connect the printer, and turn it on. Also, Canon's prefer you install their printers with a USB cable first and then set up wireless. Your Lexmark may be much less fussy. Just follow their instructions.