which AIO to buy which offers best cart refill ??

thexplanet

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am a newbie to this forum,

Sorry if i am asking this question again, if already asked, as i cant find the same question.

okay, here is what I am looking for:-

I am planning to buy a All-in-One Inkjet with scan -print -copy options.
and I am looking for either HP 2120 OR Lexmark X4650 models.

Is anyone experienced with refilling the above, and how and which ones are economical and easy to refill.

My major use will be for Copy and Print Only, less scanning

Please guide me with your experiences.

Thanks in advance.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the printer that you mentioned. I can give you the owner's view of Canon MX-850 AIO.

1. It has network interface. All computer in my house can share this printer.
2. Double-sided ADF allows me to copy 2-sided document with ease. Save me time by not copy one side at a time and collated them afterward. Just hit the copy button and do something else. It does double sided scanning too.
3. It uses PGI-8 and CLI-5 chipped cartridges. The chip resetter is cheap - less than $20. Refill information is available on this forum. Lots of information in this forum on unclogging Canon printhead if I ever need help.

These are the main reasons that I purchased this AIO.

Please noted that I have bias toward Canon printer after using HP, Lexmark, Epson and Brother printers. You do your own research and make your own decision.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The reason that I do not like other inkjet manufactures:

Brother AIO:
The printhead and the ink tank are piped with tubing similar to CIS configuration. It is very hard to get at the purge pad and the printhead to do unclogging. Replace printhead in not a few minute job like Canon.

HP AIO:
Design is similar to a CIS configuration. I help the initial installation for my cousin. It is not like the regular HP printer. The printhead is NOT part of the ink cartridge. One may have problem unclogging printhead.

Epson:
I have not use any Epson printer since I got my Canon i550 over 6 years ago. The problem with Epson is the pigment ink. Clogging is so bad that the tubing at the purge unit popping out.

Lexmark:
I have not tested a Lexmark over 6 years ago when I search for a printer to replace my Epson. The print driver was so poorly designed that used most of the CPU power to print. I cannot run any software while it was printing. I returned it and found the Canon i550.

Please note that I have bias toward Canon printer after using HP, Lexmark, Epson and Brother printers. You do your own research and make your own decision.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Definitely Canon and secondly the Brother: the Brother printers do not use chips but a floater to tell the printer if the ink is running low. Numerous refillable cartridges are available at a low price. But Canon produces much better photo's. The latest HP printers use a separate printhead + cartridge design are almost identical to the Canon's and the XL version of the HP 364 are built like the Canon CLI-8/PGI-5 cartridges and can be refilled accordingly.

thexplanet

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello All,

Thanks for all your replies sharing your experiences!

well, I have some more queries:-

I too feel like opting for Canon AIO.

however, only this is the investment for a chip reset unit,
can you please explain, what exactly is it going to be useful, meaning, just for refilling the cartridges, or is it for getting the printer resume the ink-level to full?

I am just confused.

and do i need to chip reset the original cartridge which is normally shipped with the Canon AIO unit, ( i assume it is shipped).
OR is it that to refill the original cartridge one has to perform the chip reset on the original as well.

Thanks all, and awaiting your valuable feedback.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
If possible purchase a Canon AIO with at least 5 seperate cartridges. The reason is that most AIO's have only 4 colours/cartridges. The problem with only 4 colours is the fact that photo printing is done with only 3 colours (cyan/magenta/yellow). Dark area's and "black" will be produced by mixing CMY, but the obtained "black" will never be black as real black as in the case with dedicated photo black printers (thus the extra black cartridge giving you 5 cartridges).

Therefore the MP540, MP630 or the MX850, MX860 if you want the fax function. The older CLI-8/PGI-5 based printers are better, since the cartridges contain about 30-40 % more ink than the CLI-221/521/PGI-220/PGI-520 based printers, for which there is currently no resetter available, but you can auto-reset chips for your cartridges.

My suggestion: the MP600, MP610 without fax or with fax: MP830 or the MX850, but these printers are almost or totally phased out. The chances to grab a MX850 are still very high.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Between an HP which uses the HP10/11 or HP88 tanks and a Canon which uses separate ink tanks, Canon is easier to refill (and better in other important areas). I don't know about others.

Search Youtube for refill videos on the cartridges of the AIO's you consider buying. It will be revealing.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Follow Pharmacist's advice and get the 5 tank Canon AIO. Keep away from the 4 cartridge Epson. They are simply not in the same league as the Canon separate tank AIO. Stick with thhe CLI-8 and PGI-5 tanks, if you can. These AIO possibly represent the highpoint of AIOs from Canon. Now if you can find an MP970, then they are even better. The only Epson of consideration is the the RX580 and 595, and ONLY if you are into photography a lot otherwise stick with the Canon. Forget the rest.