Where to buy bulk ink in the UK?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Wish I could say the same thing...

I brought an ex-rental mountain bike back from Canada when they were worth a fortune, complete with a receipt that showed $100 off the actual price I paid.. Customs guy saw right through me and gave me the speech... Cost 20 import duty in the end which was a pleasant surprise but I've not done anything like it since...

Mind you, given that I got caught at age 7 trying to pinch a half penny chew (yes in decimal new money!) I think it was a safe bet that I was never going to make an arch villain ;)

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I used to visit some Asian countries a few times a year 20 years ago. I was asked by my customers in one of the countries to bring a few Playboy magazines for them. It was banned in that country and they were curious about the magazine. I had a few in my carry-on luggage. When I was going through the custom, they checked my backpack and found the magazines. Oh no, I told myself. Sure enough I was lectured for a minute and was told not to do it again. They put the magazines back to my backpack!!! I gave the custom officer a 90 degree bow. Thank you, thank you... Mission accomplished. There was no inkjet printers back then. There are tons of them now. They don't ask me to bring any of those magazines any more.

cityinkexpress

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
IanYY said:
The problem with OctoInk, CityInkExpress and every other UK supplier I have looked at, is that they don't sell Pigment Black for Canon PGI-8 and PGI-520 cartridges. Every UK ink supplier expects you to fill PGI cartridges with dye ink.

It strikes me as perverse to buy a Canon printer with 5 carts, with two distinct types of black, and then refill both blacks with the same type of ink.

Ian
Hi it is not offered to us as an alternative ie pigment ink for canon- the problem is over time pigment ink particles settle at the base of the ciss and will solidify to a solid matter - i have seen this so many times.

i have tested HP unifast pigment ink from Lyson in the canons and it works well, but because of the above reasons its only ever offered in refillable carts, you would not like to buy a ciss and the 8 months later if you are still using the same pigment ink and after little use found it was blocked with solid matter

regards shane

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I buy ink from cityink and yes its true they dont supply pigment ink with their CISS for the reason they stated above. Whats the point of having a CISS installed if its going to get clogged up just when you need it most. Where there is a need to use pigment ink I use another printer with refill cartridges and so thats how I solve the riddle.. :cool:

Sassysuzy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I am new to this site just came across it - but have you guys tried Paul smith at www.tonerrefillsupplies.co.uk hes very very good and extremely helpful. I know hes teaching a lot of people how to refill toners now. He holds training courses. Hes an absolute expert. He just talks too fast lol. Hes based in Chesterfield Derbyshire. I had all my bulk ink off him.

I was in the refilling business for 8 years then had to close my shop due to a back injury, but now i am back up and running and working from home to begin with. I wont make the same mistake i did before like paying 12k for a INK REFILLING MACHINE from cartridge expert it was good and easy to use but now i realise how expensive it was. Have had a machine off paul for a lot lot less ok its a bit messier and fiddlier but does the job just the same.

Looking forward to getting my name back out there as we did have a good business and good reputation.

:D

IanYY

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
@cityinkexpress (post #33)
You are confirming one of the points I made in post #12 - that bulk ink suppliers don't supply bulk pigment ink because of the danger of clogging CIS systems.

But (as you noted) the problem doesn't apply to refilled cartridges - and those of us who want to refill Canon cartridges with pigment ink still can't find a supplier in the UK.

Ian

{Edit} Corrected post numbers.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
As far as I know.. octoinkjet.co.uk supply pigment ink thats from websnail check out the top of this page .. ;)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
The Hat said:
As far as I know.. octoinkjet.co.uk supply pigment ink thats from websnail check out the top of this page .. ;)
I certainly do... As noted earlier you wouldn't want to use Pigment ink in a CIS system that fed the ink from the base of the reservoir because the settling effect concentrates the pigment particulates thanks to gravity and presto you get promoted clogging. Unfortunately this is virtually ALL CIS kits you can purchase nowadays unless you buy from MIS Associates.

For what it's worth I've had a number of dip-tube feed reservoirs in my C84 printer at one school for over 6 years now and it's still going strong... Clogging is minimal and only ever occurs after a long holiday where there's no printer use at all. Solving that is simply a case of removing the cartridge, drawing ink through the loop, replacing the cartridge and then squirting the ink back into the reservoir before giving it a ruddy good shake.

6 years is a looong time to argue with but probably worth noting that later printers may be a bit more fussy... :)