Where does everyone get their empty cartridges for refilling?CLI8?

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Is Ebay the best bet for empty cartridges to refill?I need CLI8......(C,M,BK,Y)....for an ip4200 and want Canon OEMs.Any better sources than Ebay?Thanks! Fred

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
If I had it to do all over again, or if I ever decide to get one of the newer Canon printers, I would just buy Canon cartridges during the first year while the warranty is in effect and then just refill those cartridges. Or if I got a used printer that had no warranty, I would get by with just one set of cartridges. It takes so little time to refill using the German method, you really don't need more than one cartridge per color.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Do you think a cartridge will last indefinitely if purged occasionally?I have a couple of sets,and alternate them.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
There is nothing that would really wear out on a Canon tank. So if they are maintained, should outlast the printer.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Good to know...........and logical.....seems it would take something phsically clogging the "foam" to harm one.The only thing I can think of is calcium from hard water,since you can actually see if all the old ink is gone after a purge.And there is really not much calcium in tap water.Thanks!

Aussieinker

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi avolanche
I still get my empty carts from recycling bins at stores that have them, some even drag the bin out from behind the counter to let me fossick thru.

Have a look at the topic below for flushing method, after flushing I run a couple of syringes of demineralised water thru the cart to rinse the sponge, then blow out the water with an air compressor then treat the outlet sponge with Pharmacists flushing fluid. the cleaned cart is then wrapped with a 20mm wide strip of cling wrap around the outlet port and top 3 times around gives a good seal.

The hole for flushing and refilling that I use is approx 15mm from the bottom of the cart, this avoids the outlet sponge and allows swinging around of the flushing needle.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3299

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
May be a good idea to use demineralized water,but I suction the purged cartridges with a shop vac that leaves them bone-dry.Once dry,I just put them in a plastic air-tight copntainer until ready to fill.I've used my initial set for for 15-20 refills already and they seem to still be going strong(did initial purge and once since).

It may be better to locate the fill-hole at 15mm,but I can't see any evidence of deterioration.I use sharp,large gauge needles and the "foam" looks like new.

refilldude

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
just a heads up a refilled cartridge cannot void a printers warrenty unless they prove it was the cartridge that caused the damage.

So what do you do. if you ever have to send back a printer for inspection dont send the cartridges or put in some empty oem cartridges that have not been filled.

simple.

There is no way that any supplier would spend thousands drawing ink from a print head to send to a lab for chemical testing to prove you used non genuine ink over a 40 - 130 printer...

it actually says in all the manuals that 3rd party cartridges wont void your warrenty. its against the law for them to force you to use there cartridges. its anti competative