Where did my ink go when refilling a virgin cartridge?

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
I know full well, it went into the empty sponge. So clearly I need to put more ink in than what would be for an almost-saturated sponge.

So I bought a bunch of 220/221 cartridges as transparent alternatives to the 225/226s that go into my MG6120. I was told to fill the tank (the magenta one) with 5mL, and I don't why I was surprised to look in the tank and see nothing there but a few bubbles, because of course the sponge would drink it all up. So this is clearly not a full cartridge and I can't use it. So how much ink am I really supposed to put in?

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
You need to put the ink directly into the empty chamber. Use either the German method (search the forum) or the topfill method (search for mikling's method). If you are adventurous, you can use the Freedom Method. Search this forum. No matter which you use, if you open the ink chamber (the one without the sponge), you must seal it completely afterwards, and you must ensure that you have not plugged up the vent (above the sponge chamber) with ink.

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
I did that. I used the top-fill method this time, because the hole wasn't yet plugged. Now that it is, and taped over w/Al, I'll have to use the German method. So I still have an empty tank and no idea how much more I should add.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
OK, here's what you should have done. You have three openings: (1) the vent over the sponge; (2) the outlet port; (3) the fill hole in the ink chamber. Seal 2 temporarily; open 3. Then add ink slowly until it's 1/4 full. Seal 1 and top up the ink chamber. Seal 3, open the others, clean up, and you're ready to go.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
PenguinLust said:
I did that. I used the top-fill method this time, because the hole wasn't yet plugged. Now that it is, and taped over w/Al, I'll have to use the German method. So I still have an empty tank and no idea how much more I should add.
That is an easy one to answer because youre using the top fill method.
Just make sure the orange clip is secure to the bottom of your cartridge.

Then just fill the reservoir to full and leave the cartridge standing for about ten minutes.

Then refill the reservoir again to and seal up the refill hole this time
with a good plug or hot glue and your cartridge is now ready to use.

The answer to your original question is the fully empty cartridge will take about 15 ml of ink to fill it
but the same cartridge will only take 5 ml to refill after it becomes empty later.. :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The Hat said:
The answer to your original question is the fully empty cartridge will take about 15 ml of ink to fill it
but the same cartridge will only take 5 ml to refill after it becomes empty later.. :)
Hold on a minute Uncle The Hat. I think we could use a little more explanation. A cartridge completely empty and devoid of any ink may take 15 ml if ink to fill to factory levels, but only 5 ml's to fill "after it becomes empty later" makes no sense on its own. The spongeless compartment takes more ink than that when empty, let alone what may be needed in the sponged side. Then there is the shifting meaning of "empty" the forum embraces. Empty what? Empty when according to?? It's no wonder Penguin is confused.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
I think The Hat has lost touch since he got his Pro 1 printer with the larger ink tanks. He now thinks our cartridges are so tiny:)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
rodbam said:
I think The Hat has lost touch since he got his Pro 1 printer with the larger ink tanks. He now thinks our cartridges are so tiny:)
You're right, rod. I forgot The Hat once starred in

Amazing%20Colossal%20Man%201957.jpg

Here we see The Hat's actual syringe used to refill his Pro 1 printer:

colossalSyringe.jpg

(FYI - image from same movie)

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
And another problem is that I already sealed the top (I didn't use any hot glue, just the plug and Al tape that octosomething provided. How serious a mistake is that?) so the subsequent fillings will have to be done German.
"Empty" in this case, means not a drop of ink. The transparencies were completely transparent and the sponge was white.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Sorry rodbam but your cartridges really are tiny. :ep
As for the rest well Stratman have found us out, so I will be signing autographs after ten tomorrow,
and after that I will have to see my tailor for a bigger HAT size :woot :lol:

P.S. Sure isnt that you behind me with the funnel rodbam..:ya