Where are the inventors?

sickofthis!

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Dear Iowepg,
Thank you so much for your time and kind response. Is it likely that the MP990 will be available again at that price, or is that a done deal? And I'm a little stupid about reburbished. Doesn't that mean that they didn't work once and have been rebuilt? Doesn't that also mean that they are likely to break again?

ThrillaMozilla,
I don't really know what you mean by print from the computer as opposed to print from the printer.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
sickofthis!, we need to start at square one. Tell us the model number of the printer(s) you have and if you have a Windows PC or Mac in order for us to give you help for your specific printer.

What TM is asking is if the test page is initated from the computer via the HP printer software or via a button on the printer.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
sickofthis! said:
And I'm a little stupid about reburbished. Doesn't that mean that they didn't work once and have been rebuilt? Doesn't that also mean that they are likely to break again?
Refurbished means that it uses good working parts from a previously owned printer and replacement parts where required. The previous owner may have returned a perfectly good printer that they changed their mind about and so no parts had to be replaced or it could have been a printer that didn't work but in any case, the manufacturer is bringing it up to the same standard as a new printer. However, since they usually only provide a 90 day warranty instead of one year tells you that the manufacturer doesn't want to stand by its quality as much as they would a new one. But the relative drop in price usually makes it a better buy and I always recommend buying a second printer as a backup.

sickofthis!

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
ThrillaMozilla: I printed a test page by going through the printer>preferences>printer services> print test page.
msmart: I am trying to print with an HP wireless officejet 6000. My computer is a PC with Windows XP.

The printer is now suddenly printing black okay, but not magenta or yellow. I suppose the cartridges are past their expiration date. Any way to bypass/overcome that?

sickofthis!

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
msmart: Yes. I just did this one:
To turn off usage information collection
▲ On the product control panel, press and hold the Resume button and Network button
(on some models, press the Wireless button) until the ink cartridge lights blink,
approximately five seconds, and then release the buttons.

I don't know why, but holding the Resume and Wireless buttons on my printer resulted in it printing a network test report, and the ink cartridge lights did NOT blink. Perhaps I did that years ago. I've had the printer 2 years. I've never had this problem before, but I'm pretty sure it's the expiration chip on the cartridges. I'm gonna try the "keep switching cartridges back and forth til it works" technique next.....
Is "usage information collection" collected for HP or is it just information regarding the cartridges?

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
Turning off usage information is just so the printer can estimate the ink levels and tell you when it thinks the cartridge needs replacing. I don't know why trying to turn it off didn't work, unless you did, as you say, already did that before.

On page 56, what does the estimated ink levels say?

The test page you say you can print, is that the Print Quality diagnostic page? How does that look, I believe you said "beautiful"?

Have you tried cleaning the print head? (page 97).