Where are the inventors?

sickofthis!

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that no one has come up with a printer that is not tethered to the manufacturer! Surely there are some independent geniuses out there who could make a zillion dollars by manufacturing a printer that the consumer can simply refill without all this drama. I was very happy with my Canon for years and should never have thrown it out when the ink pad full message came up. I then bought a Lexmark that I threw out the window when I realized how much it would cost me in ink cartridges. Next, an HP wireless and after 5 days of wrangling with it, I'm throwing that out too. It absolutely refuses to print anything but a test page since I refilled the cartridges, and does that beautifully. Why won't it print MY document? Because HP needs another billion?

IS THERE a printer out there, anywhere in this big wide world, that you can simply refill and keep on printing??? Come on guys! I am seriously thinking of driving to Kinko's for the rest of my life rather than succumb to these megacorporations. We can't just lie down and take it.:/

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
sickofthis! said:
IS THERE a printer out there, anywhere in this big wide world, that you can simply refill and keep on printing??? Come on guys! I am seriously thinking of driving to Kinko's for the rest of my life rather than succumb to these megacorporations. We can't just lie down and take it.:/
Yep

Any one of these though they aren't good on photo printing ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Matrix-Printers/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n:430588031&page=1

Sorry, couldn't resist that.

I think you have been a bit unlucky.

Most people here have no problems with their Canon printers and refilling, especially as it costs peanuts to refill.

Yes you see posts about clogging and refilling nightmares, but don't forget that for every problem posted there are loads of users that don't have a problem and are happy with refilling.

One thing I would add though, is do not use cheap refill ink in your printers if you want to avoid problems. Stick with well respected suppliers, a list of which can be found in this forum.

Don't know where you are in the world but if in USA there have been a number of posts lately that list great bargains to be had on Canon printers.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
sickofthis! said:
It absolutely refuses to print anything but a test page since I refilled the cartridges, and does that beautifully. Why won't it print MY document?
Hmmm.... Sounds like there's nothing wrong with the printer. How did you print the test page? From the printer or from the computer?

If from the printer, then you need to try a test page from the computer. Make sure you have selected the right printer. I don't know what you might be doing wrong, but it kind of sounds like the problem is you. :rolleyes: I definitely agree about the price of ink, though.

lowepg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
sickofthis! said:
I find it hard to believe that no one has come up with a printer that is not tethered to the manufacturer! Surely there are some independent geniuses out there who could make a zillion dollars by manufacturing a printer that the consumer can simply refill without all this drama. I was very happy with my Canon for years and should never have thrown it out when the ink pad full message came up. I then bought a Lexmark that I threw out the window when I realized how much it would cost me in ink cartridges. Next, an HP wireless and after 5 days of wrangling with it, I'm throwing that out too. It absolutely refuses to print anything but a test page since I refilled the cartridges, and does that beautifully. Why won't it print MY document? Because HP needs another billion?

I believe your premise is flawed.

I dont think youd want to see the price of a modern printer that wasnt subsidized by the expected revenue or ink sales.... Its the classic razor-blade price model.

As i stands now- we have the best possible scenario:
Manufactureers selling printers at low price - expecting to make it up on ink
And WE crush their dreams by refilling carts for pennies!

Buy a refurbished Canon for less than $100 (a steal), order some ink, and you just beat the system!

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Yes, we are beating the system -- I think. But if you need a reason to do it, the manufacturers' claims on ink use border on being fraudulent. The ink consumption of my printer at least was blatantly understated.

sickofthis!

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I think everyone misunderstood. I am saying that it's my HP that won't print at all with refilled cartridges. I am considering a CIS now but I'll look into Canon again. Where do you buy them refurbished?

sickofthis!

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
And I'm not finding a Canon MP990 for less than $250......

lowepg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
I'm going to repeat my question because I don't think it was understood. If I understood you correctly, you can print a test page from the computer, but not a document?

If so, the problem is NOT the printer.