When do you pick what paper to use?

aCuria

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 5070, Epson L10850
I intend to use a L18050 and I do not at this point have the capability to make my own printer profiles.

Epson seems to have a range or papers, when would you go for each paper type?
  • Epson Ultra Glossy
  • Epson Premium Glossy
  • Epson Premium Semigloss
  • Photo Paper Glossy
  • Epson Matte
  • Epson Photo Quality Ink Jet
  • Epson Economy Photo Paper

I would like to know:
  • Should Glossy be mainly used with higher contrast images?
  • Does Glossy has the highest dynamic range / Gamut?
  • Is semigloss for lower contrast images?
  • Is it true that Glossy only be used for "smaller" prints? How small is considered small?
  • Does Economy Photo have the same coating as Premium glossy? Is the difference only in the lighter paper weight?
  • Is Matte useful for color photo printing?
  • Is Photo Quality Ink Jet paper useful for color photo printing?
  • Luster does not seem to be available in sheet form?

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I'm rather reluctant to make particular paper recommendations - you decide. It may help very much to get sample papers and you print images, photos of your choice onto various papers and judge which paper looks 'better', you may ask other persons close by - family members - friends.

Have a look to the internet and look for 'sample paper paper pack photo paper or similar, you probably will find companies like Photospeed, Canson, Tecco and lots of other companies. Those sample packs should have a glossy paper, a silk/semipmatte paper, a matte paper, probably some FineArt, cotton based, Baryta etc versions .

Does Economy Photo have the same coating as Premium glossy? Is the difference only in the lighter paper weight?
no, the paper base basically defines the paper weight, you may get photo papers in the range from 120 - 300gr.
The coating defines the range of acheivable colors - the overall gamut and the level of fading protection of the printed inks. You'll find budget papers which have a paper like back side, and PE/RC papers with a more complex set of layers on the paper base, the paper of this PE type are sandwiched with very thin layers of a PE foil on both sides, you cannot write on the backside with a ballpointpen. These are typically the higher priced papers.

aCuria

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 5070, Epson L10850
Do papers “expire”? I see some people selling their balance epson photo papers cheaply (6-7 euro equivalent / 20 sheets A4).

Is Epson’s “Photo Quality Ink Jet paper” actually useful for color photo printing? (Or just stick to glossy and semi-gloss)

I'm rather reluctant to make particular paper recommendations - you decide. It may help very much to get sample papers and you print images, photos of your choice onto various papers and judge which paper looks 'better', you may ask other persons close by - family members - friends.

Have a look to the internet and look for 'sample paper paper pack photo paper or similar, you probably will find companies like Photospeed, Canson, Tecco and lots of other companies. Those sample packs should have a glossy paper, a silk/semipmatte paper, a matte paper, probably some FineArt, cotton based, Baryta etc versions .

no, the paper base basically defines the paper weight, you may get photo papers in the range from 120 - 300gr.
The coating defines the range of acheivable colors - the overall gamut and the level of fading protection of the printed inks. You'll find budget papers which have a paper like back side, and PE/RC papers with a more complex set of layers on the paper base, the paper of this PE type are sandwiched with very thin layers of a PE foil on both sides, you cannot write on the backside with a ballpointpen. These are typically the higher priced papers.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Is Epson’s “Photo Quality Ink Jet paper” actually useful for color photo printing?
Why not - not just because because Epson rates it as a photo quality paper, it depends what you are planning to do with such paper - it is pretty thin - probably in the range of 100gr, and not like other more or less standard photo papers in the range of 200 gr to 300gr. And the paper is coated for inkjet printing, that means that you get a better color reproduction than on normal copy paper (uncoated). And it's up to you whether you like a matte surface or not.

Last edited: