What problems to expect refilling/using Canon ip4200?

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
I've been using and refilling a Canon MP780 successfully for a long while.I just got a Canon ip4200 and wish to use refilled cartridges with it.I already have empty CLI-8 and PGI-5 chipped cartridges and know how to refill these with bulk ink.
My questions are what to expect from the printer as far as errors,etc.I know I'll not have "ink monitoring" using refilling.But what errors will I get on the printer and how do I address these(I did searches and can't seem to get a concensus).Will the printer work 'long-term" with refills(or did Canon mess that up in some way)?I'd really appreciate any advice!Thanks,Fred Rule

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
As you can read on the internet and on this forum: after refilling the printer will notice that you are using refilled cartridges and will tell you so. You have to overrule the printer warning by pressing 5 seconds or more in on the printer cancel key to deactivate the ink level status. So you will end up with a disable ink level status and you don't know if the cartridge are empty or not. That's the backside of the newer chipped cartridges. You have to check the cartridge on a regular basis whether or not they are empty, especially before a large printing job and refill them before printing. Another way to overcome this handicap is to install a CISS-system, so you can see the ink levels from the outer tanks.

So keep your MP780 as long as possible in excellent condition, since this is a great printer without chipped cartridge and works great !

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
So the only real down-side is having to check the ink levels?The printer won't stop working after a certain number of refills like I had read on another forum(never thought that to be true anyway)?Thanks!

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Well sometimes the chip will go corrupted (wear, fused or whatever), giving you errors and than you have to buy a new chipped cartridge. If you're unlucky then you don't know which cartridge went wrong and you have to test every of the 5 carts and find out which one is faulty. And even you're using original carts, a lot of people complains about faulty chips causing the printer to warn you that 2 carts of the same colour are installed. And you know that's not true.... But the chips tell you so and you can't get a refund for faulty carts. And you happened to installed the carts already, so the shop won't give you your money back. So even you can refill those CLI-8/PGI-5Bk, the chips can give you a lot of worry if they don't work properly. Therefore the Canon non-chipped carts are preferable. Besides: in the older printer you can even install the newer CLI-8/PGI-5Bk cartriges and they will work, giving you more fade-resistant prints than original BCI-6 ink. And after they are empty you can sell them to somebody else who can refill them and have a one time chance to have working ink level.