What printer to get next???

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
My MP640 finally bit the dust after many years of faithful service. Not to worry though, when the MP640 went out of production I was able to purchase a reconditioned one directly from Canon for only $60 + free shipping. That is the printer I'm am now using and I expect it to last several years too. My question now is, what type of printer should I be on the lookout for to purchase and keep as a spare in case of the current MP640 biting the dust. I love Canon and have always refilled but I'm kind of out of the loop as far as knowing what are the most friendly for refilling. What do you suggest?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Mowerman90 said:
My MP640 finally bit the dust after many years of faithful service. Not to worry though, when the MP640 went out of production I was able to purchase a reconditioned one directly from Canon for only $60 + free shipping. That is the printer I'm am now using and I expect it to last several years too. My question now is, what type of printer should I be on the lookout for to purchase and keep as a spare in case of the current MP640 biting the dust. I love Canon and have always refilled but I'm kind of out of the loop as far as knowing what are the most friendly for refilling. What do you suggest?
There are so little options left now when it comes to the Canon printers, the ease of refilling is quickly becoming a thing of the past,
with the cartridges now getting smaller, opaque and non resettable your choices are very limited.

However you do have Craigs List on your side of the pond to help you find some of the little gems that are going unwanted,
the real old and best Canon printers can still be found on there, failing that the last options are the 225/226 printers.

The only recommendation that I can make is the A3 printer range, like the 9000, 9500 or the new Pro 100
all are still very easy to refill and maintain long term, in the mean time dont give up your search they may still be out there..:)

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
What about the Epson line? I'd only be looking for A4 size and don't necessarily need it to have a scanner.

rihac support

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
What about the Epson line?
I would not look at the Epson line if you are intending to refill OEM cartridges as they can be a bit tricky. You're best off staying with the Canon line of printers as they are much easier to maintain and refill the OEM cartridges. I work for Rihac and although we do not sell printers I work very close with them on a daily basis for the past 3 years. Keep an eye out for something like the Canon IP4920, essentially a newer version of your printer but without the scanning function. As The Hat mentioned maybe jump on eBay or similar sites to keep an eye out for any Canon printers using the 220/221 or 225/226.

Keep up the search :D

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
I received an email promotion from Epson yesterday showing their expression and artisan printers. I've decided that the sale price for the Artisan 730, being $89.99 was too good to pass up. Problem is they don't have any in stock. I called and they could not say when or if they would have any. Does anyone know where I could buy one at a reasonable price? Or, does anyone know of or can suggest an alternative Epson printer that is readily available and will work with a CISS?

rihac support

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It will be pretty hard to find an Artisan 730 now especially with the release of the Epson Expression series. You could look at the Epson T50, essentially the same as an Artisan 730 except has no scanner and LCD screen. The T50 is a few years old now so there is definitely a CISS available in USA for this printer.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
If you're checking eBay or Craigslist chances are high that there will be various printers being put on as spares/repair that have just had little/no use or hit the service required point but the owner doesn't know or care about reviving it.

Obviously there will be lemons too but if you're careful you can find a few bargains that way.