What Printer Should I Buy?

clive2010

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

First of all lets get one thing straight, Im a member of the silver suffer brigade and what I know about printers and computers can be got on the back of a postage stamp, so I do need some advice.

I used to own a HP Photosmart 26410 until the paper kept on jamming and was told it would cost just as much as a new machine to have it repaired.

So I started to read some of the reviews for printers on the net, and finally settled for a Canon MX7600.
I must admit Id read one review were the guy had said how Slooooooooow it was printing and the noise it makes.

I just thought nah these young wiz kids, if it doesnt print a page about every one hundredth of a second its too slow, so like a muppet I bought one and have to confess it prints fast enough for me.
When it first boots up it goes through what I assume is a head cleaning process and when that cycle as finished proceeds to print, which is fine.

The annoying thing is, if nothing is sent to print for about 60 seconds it goes through the same procedure every time which is a real pain, also when its finished printing it goes through another cleaning cycle, then shuts up for about 20 seconds or so, then starts making another load of gear meshing noise.

Ive got my print which seems like an eternity ago, and Im thinking to myself what the hell does this machine find to keep on doing, its almost impossible to have a conversation with someone when its running cleaning and preening itself, also when printing pictures they tend to come out damp, I assume thats because of the clear ink it sloshes on the page first.

I think the printer needs to be in a basement and I need to be either on the roof or in another building as far away as I can get from it, or the last alternative get rid of it.

Ive come full circle really, Ive been reading printer reviews on the HP8500 and the Brother MFC-6890CDW, both which seem to have their faults, leaving me in the dilemma what to buy or do I stick with the Canon.

Can anyone tell me of a machine they own which is a pretty good performer at about the same price range.

Many thanks for any advice

Clive

d1hamby

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I couldn't find any reference to an "HP Photosmart 26410". I know the Canon MX7600 uses a clear "ink" to cover the print to make it last longer. Since this is a fairly new technology it is going to have some quirks. Neither the HP8500 or the Brother MFC-6890CDW is going to have as good of a photo, it is probably better to stick with the Canon.

You can go into some stores and test the quality with a flash drive and some photo paper.