What light to evaluate prints

Mags

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson 9880, 9890, T7000
The Solux looks good its got a very high CRI of 98 so thats amazingly good. Ive never used them but ill take a peak myself . Ill be interested in your findings.

nrdlnd

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3880
The Solux looks good its got a very high CRI of 98 so thats amazingly good. Ive never used them but ill take a peak myself . Ill be interested in your findings.

CRI is not the whole story... I think CRI is the same as RA-index and the Osram Color Proof has a RA-index of 98. That's quite amazing for a fluorescent tube! The light from the fluorescent tubes are much more even and there are no flickering when driven from an electronic reactor. They are also dimmable without changing the color temperature with the correct equipment. They don't become very hot. They are also much more energy efficient and has a longer life. The Osram Color Proof tubes do also meet the application requirements of ISO 3664:2009 that the Solux lamps don't claim to do.

When I started this thread my question was why the Solux halogen lamps seems to be the de facto standard among photographers when the graphic industry use fluorescent lights for evaluating their result. There seems to be a fear for the fluorescent lamps because the spectrum is more uneven with more pronounced output at some bands. Is it possible to see this in real life? The Osram Color Proof (and some other more specialized brands of fluorescent tubes) cover the whole spectrum especially the blue/UV end where the Solux lamps seem to be lacking.

If you read between the lines you can see that I very much prefer the fluorescent tubes of technical reasons (more even light distribution, more energy efficient, possible to regulate the output, don't run hot). The aber is the Hg-content so you must handle them with care and when used leave them to the waste depot (You have to do that with the Solux lamps too). They also need more advanced equipment to run. BUT if the output is good for evaluating prints then I will use the Solux for other purposes for example macro photography. If not I may take the hassle with the Solux...I will come back when I have more experience!

Per

nrdlnd

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3880
With my four armature 18w Osram Color Proof tubes I get 2000 lux at a distance of about 70 cm. The distance to the table will be less so I will dim the light (without dimming the light an armture with 3 tubes could be an alternative but with electronic reactor to avoid flimmering and for a faster startup). This armature gives a very even light. I think it will do well for evaluating prints. I have also two Solux 36w lamps with diffusers and they have to be positioned 35-40 cm from the table to give 2000 Lux. They are not dimmable and these two lamps don't cover such a great area as the fluorescent tubes. I can't yet say which light quality is better. There now exist LED-lamps 5000K (for example Soraa) with a CRI of at least 95 available that consume 7-10W compared to the 36W of the halogen lamps. I think they are dimmable without changing the color temperature the same as the fluorescent tubes (they both depend on phosphors to emit the light). I should have gone with them instead of the Solux if I wanted the more directional light. I prefer the more diffused and even light from the fluorescent tubes though.

Per

Last edited: