What is the current best Canon Pixma iX6820 (PGI-251) CISS solution?

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I purchased this ink kit online for my brand new Canon Pixma iX6820 to do 13x19 art prints on canvas.

But the colors have an ugly hue and fail to pop like the default Canon inks.

Any suggestions for a Canon Pixma iX6820 refillable solution and inks?

thanks!

z-temp-2021-04-24--080102.jpg

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
But the colors have an ugly hue and fail to pop like the default Canon inks.
I'm proposing you to use the GI-23 genuine Canon inks for refill on your IX6820 printer so you won't have a format problem, the use of this ink for refill is separate from the installation and use of a CISS system. I'm not familiar with such CISS systems for Canon printers , I just can report from experience with Epson A3 printers that the retrofit of a CISS appears to the simple but the longer term stability and guidance of the tubing can become a problem and can cause serious problems to the mechanics if the tubing suddenly loops differently than before and blocks the printhead carriage.

Or you give it a try and get a specific icc-profile made for your ink/paper combination(s), this could correct the overall color balance but would not increase color saturation.

Last edited:

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Question are these inks marked for use in a Canon printer only or are they universal… ?
not sure. I'm a CISS noob.
I just bought them from a guy on eBay

ebay . com/itm/201362489925

this was the result below. can you recommend a better option?

compare.jpg

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm proposing you to use the GI-23 genuine Canon inks for refill on your IX6820 printer so you won't have a format problem, the use of this ink for refill is separate from the installation and use of a CISS system. I'm not familiar with such CISS systems for Canon printers , I just can report from experience with Epson A3 printers that the retrofit of a CISS appears to the simple but the longer term stability and guidance of the tubing can become a problem and can cause serious problems to the mechanics if the tubing suddenly loops differently than before and blocks the printhead carriage.

Or you give it a try and get a specific icc-profile made for your ink/paper combination(s), this could correct the overall color balance but would not increase color saturation.

oh i think i understand.

You're saying i can buy the genuine colors of cyan, magenta, yellow, and then just put these colors in my reffillable ink system.

http://amazon.com/dp/B08XZQJLYF
http://amazon.com/dp/B08XZP1ZNV
http://amazon.com/dp/B08XZRNSNT

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You can get lured by the low purchase price of such inks but there are a few disadvantages with such inks - colors are off as you have recognized - that's just typical but nobody tells you upfront, and there is another hidden problem with such inks - their durability against UV and ozone is just poor - you get what you paid for - ( I regret to say it) - colors are shifting and fading away after a short while - it depends what you do with your prints - putting them on the wall or storing them in an album - indoor - outdoor - placement - smoke - all can influence it - but such no-name inks are generally much weaker than OEM inks - Canon or Epson.

Those GI-23 inks are brand new and just announced - it'll take a short while until they can be deliverd - Amazon states 1 - 2 months.

You may be interested to get an icc/icm-color profile made for your inks and paper(s), this would correct the color cast in your images. Since I'm in Germany I cannot refer you to the best places for such service, but googling for 'custom icc profiling service' gives me plenty of hits in the U.S.

https://www.booksmartstudio.com/?page_id=5243 with reasonable pricing
https://www.colourmanagement.net/services/inkjet-printer-profiling I couldn't find their pricing that quick
https://www.rpimaging.com/pages/custom-icc-profiling-service - 3 profiles for $99 - if you print on more than one type of paper you need a profile for every paper in use

and there are more companies offering such service.

And then look it up on the internet how you activate such profile together with the software you are using to print your images - it's easy in most cases.

Those profiles will correct the color cast with your inks but won't fix the rather limited longer term persistence.

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You can get lured by the low purchase price of such inks but there are a few disadvantages with such inks - colors are off as you have recognized - that's just typical but nobody tells you upfront, and there is another hidden problem with such inks - their durability against UV and ozone is just poor - you get what you paid for - ( I regret to say it) - colors are shifting and fading away ....
Yikes sounds complicated
i think i'm too newb for profiles
I am good at photoshop though--that's where we're printing from.
I just noticed that at the Amazon link i posted, those links won't be for sale for a long time.

Could you recommend a company i could buy from today that would get me some better results than the ebay guy?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
i think i'm too newb for profiles
it's not difficult at all - you just follow the instructions, there are plenty guidelines on the internet like this one

https://www.redrivercatalog.com/profiles/how_to_install_ICC_color_profiles.html

I just noticed that at the Amazon link i posted, those links won't be for sale for a long time.
Since these new GI-23 Canon inks are just announced it'll take a short while until they are available for sale, that's the main reason I'm proposing you to get a color profile to bridge the time, so you can make some use of your inks.

Could you recommend a company i could buy from today that would get me some better results than the ebay guy?
I regret there I'm not aware of an alternate source for 'good' 3rd party refill inks, no seller can quote you a parameter which indicates that his inks are better than other inks , you would have to test it out all by yourself. There are no refill inks on the market which are more stable than OEM - Canon or Epson - inks, just don't believe any claims like 'UV resistant' or similar.