What is the best printer for Continuous ink system.

hawk

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My Epson Artisan 810 print head got a clog and wont come out so I need a new printer.
I did a search for this but only found posts 2 or 3 years old.

I would like a printer that has a good rep. for using Continuous ink system.
I liked being able to print on CD's but I have had 2 Epson's in the last year and a half (Artisan 800 and 810)
and both died within 8 to 9 months.
Thanks for any help.:p

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
From reading some posts here it seems that Epson printers take CIS better than Canon but you have not had a good run with your Epson printers by the look of it. Hopefully one of the experts will help you out.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Epson is the only name in the CISS game especially if you want to print CD's. Their piezo heads are the only ones that can survive a clog. Clog a thermal head and it can easily burn out on you leaving permanent stripes on your prints.

With CISS it is vital you print out full color documents at least once a week to prevent clogging. If you want to keep it simple, try a Workforce series printer but these can't really do CD printing. These are greatly simplified with only 4 inks and the inks are directly on top of the printhead, not offset. This makes it much easier to unclog should it occur.

I've had great success with my Artisan 50 and it uses the cartridges on top of the printhead so unclogging has been a breeze. I use an old CISS cartridge filled with windex and attached to a syringe. I can gently force windex through the printheads to clear any clog. The only issue is it's only a single function printer.

vallejoboy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Wouldn't the ink and CISS greatly affect the performance aswell, because not all CISS are created equal same goes with ink being used in these CISS.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
They aren't created equal but I just bought the cheapest ciss system and it works just fine. Generally with dye inks in the CISS you'll be fine. Epsons are much much less picky about the ink you use. It's that piezo technology.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The Artisans 700-835 are the best especially when it comes to printing CD/DVDs. However, based on the repeating failures, this aspect would lead me to investigate the installation process. Check carefully for crimps along the lines or any constrictions as well as the condition of the seals at the bottom of the cartridges. Many times it is the quality of installation that truly determines the long term reliability of the CISS system.

I suspect that the installation is crimping the line at some point.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
vallejoboy I would like a printer that has a good rep. for using Continuous ink system.
There has being a lot written about the CISS not working properly on Canon printers.
Canon printers are just like Epson printers when it comes to using a CISS on them.

Any CISS has to be set-up just right for it to work flawlessly and be checked daily for potential problems
otherwise it will fail easily if left unattended for long period.

There is a lot of maintenance involved on any CISS system regardless of which printer you choose and if
you dont take care of your CISS weather its on the Epson or Canon it will give you all the trouble in the world.

Unless you have a lot of printing to do (hundreds) go with OEM cartridges and refill especially if its a Canon printer
or even consider the use of compatibles if you dont want the hassle of refilling.

I print on DVD/CDs on my Canon printers and never use the CISS when printing DVDs but if youre in the US
you might have a problem getting hold of a CD tray and upgrade for a Canon printer.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The Hat said:
I print on DVD/CDs on my Canon printers and never use the CISS when printing DVDs but if youre in the US
you might have a problem getting hold of a CD tray and upgrade for a Canon printer.
eBay makes thinks very simple. The problem typically is whether you care to spend the money or not to get the CD Tray.

hawk

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ok I am thanking on buying a artisan 835 will the ciss from the 810 work on it?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
hawk said:
My Epson Artisan 810 print head got a clog and wont come out so I need a new printer.
Can you clarify if the clog or the printehead itself won't come out and what techniques you've tried using to clear the clog?

I ask because I suspect you're relying on the built-in cleaning routines or, if trying a manual method, finding it difficult to get the printhead off the cleaning/resting station so you can apply the best approach available.

Given your history with these printers so far I suspect you'd benefit from being able to get to grips with this problem and avoid having to purchase another new printer, or indeed a new CIS, etc...

I'll be able to help some more once you've provided some more detail on what you meant about the clog, etc...