What is normally expected when replacing ink tanks.

Music Image

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
d86cfv, you just pipped me at the post (pun intended)

FWIW, One thing I noticed in my case, with the canon ink compared to the 3rd party ink was the text had a slight blueish greyish tinge. It definitely wasnt as black as Canons.

Music Image

d86cfv

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Have you tried Cartridge World, they re-fill your carts for you. I use their ink and have very good results. As far as i'm aware its OCP brand but could be wrong. With over a thousand stores worldwide they know what they are doing, and if you have a problem then just take it back. I'm trialing their bci compats' at the moment in the printers at work with fair success, however they are fairly expensive compared to home re-filling, with only a 50% saving on refills and about 30% on compats' - depends whether you want to get your hands dirty....

http://www.cartridgeworld.co.nz/

Regs,

Dan

Music Image

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Dan, yes Ive checked out this site, and getting someone to refill for me, wasnt something I wanted to consider for example, on their website it says...

"It is as easy as dropping your empty cartridges into a store near you"

My nearest store is 2 hours drive away. Not very good economics when you consider how our fuel prices are skyrocketting (last time I looked it was $1.57 a litre for 91). Posting doesnt look to be an option either, and anyway the cost would outweigh the benefits, plus the likelihood of your cart being in an uncontrolled environment whilst in transit. These people say they are expanding their outlets though and indeed if they come to my area which is reasonably central by NZ standards, they will be a viable proposition. I will keep them in mind. I have a list of NZ sites and over the months since Ive been "chasing this issue" Ive been keeping an eye on any favourable changes. This is time consuming though and I dont always get the time to keep up with it.

Music Image

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
d86cfv said:
Osage, have you noticed whether the ink your using is not as "deep a black" as the canon pigment based ink? I thought that was why they used the 3ebk, because the 6 didnt look black enough.

Regs

Dan
To Dan,

When I was using the dye based BCI-3ebk, I was printing various text based forms. I didn't particulatly
note if it was not quite as black as the Canon type pigmented ink. But any black contrasts quite well with white paper--which was all that counted at the time. But I still have one BCI-3bk dye based cartridge left. And if I get the chance, I will compare the two outputs for how black is black.

And to Music Image,

Thank you for pointing out how lucky I am to be in the USA---at least ink supplier wise. But as I recall you have some fellow counrymen and women on these forums--and perhaps you can band together. With group demand, perhaps you can get one or more quality vendors to service that demand. That and a few people in country that are willing to be distruitors and you may be on a road to making New Zealand a printing Mecca. But the more posters you can muster the sooner your squeeky wheel gets greased. Good luck.

Music Image

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Osage, yes, as Ive said, Ive been working on a possible source so hopefully that will come good, though we'll never be the printing mecca that big countries will because we are simply geographically so far away and often this is a problem right across the board. Not just with printing supplies. Also because our population is tiny, that brings another aspect into play, like not enough demand. Ive mentioned to this distributor about the popular inks on this forum. He's going to look into it possibly this week. So I guess we'll see. The wheels can take a LOT of oiling to get going here.

I would be interested in hearing from any other kiwis on this board, of their experiences/ideas. Recently I actually tried to source some empty carts which is something I havnt given much thought to as Ive been busy trying to source compats or refill kits. I couldnt find one source !!!, and folks when I look, sometimes I can spend HOURS looking,

Perhaps it would be in order to say that I am not a real enthusiast like some people on this board, (but their knowledge is still very much appreciated) and my printing needs are very ordinary, but that doesnt mean to say Im any less interested in the prospect of re-filling and looking at using compatibles and looking after my printer. In other words Im not "layed back" about it either.

Anyway, thanks all of you who have put forth your ideas and help so far. I really appreciate it.

Music Image.

nelda

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Music Image,

Have you tried Hobbicolors? They have very quick response to emails, and I think they will ship to NZ. You can contact support from their website at www.hobicolors.com, "contact us". Their website needs to be revamped, but I can personally say that their service is next to the best. Shipping was very quick in the US (one to two days). You can also do a search for them from ebay.com (search for hobbicolors, then use the contact seller link).

They have empty crtidges for refilling which are the easist that I have ever used. I have not tried their compatible cartridges, but I am happy with their ink.

Nelda

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I too use hobbicolors---and they may be a viable option anywhere in the world--but I do caution that you may have to either have a paypal account or know someone who does.

But hobbicolors communication is first rate--if you can arrange payment they will do their part. Shipping could cost a small fortune but the more you order at a time the cheaper the unit cost. And Nelda is correct,
their website is the easiest way to get contact information.

Music Image

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
This is all comes back to my recent thread about 3rd party inks/compats and so I wont repeat myself here except to perhaps say my needs just dont warrant spending a whole heap of time and resources getting all this to come to fruition, but Ive done what I can for now, and I'll keep my eyes and ears open for sure.

In the meantime, tomorrow my hubby will pick up the OEMs Ive ordered. At least I can get these at a very reasonable price (for NZ that is). One place charges....AND DONT FALL OFF YOUR SEAT....over $27 for the 3eBK, and I can get them for around $21 locally so its not the end of the world ....yet...

Hopefully any kiwis will chime in.

Thanks again for all your ideas, help and suggestions.

Music Image.

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I happened to check hobbicolors today for an unrelated reason. In this case, I went to ebay and typed hobbicolors on the ebay searchbar which brought up the list of current auctions.

Clicking on any auction opens up various pages-----and I can positively confirm that New Zealand is on the list of countries hobbicolors ships to---and it also looks definite that the preferred payment method is paypal.

Music Image

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Osage,
You do remember the thread where we were talking about finding a decent outlet in NZ?. Also, Im not saying any of these companys wont ship direct to NZ or otherwise, but Im simply looking for someone I can rely on to supply my humble needs 1st Locally then if need be nationally. As Ive already said, and I notice others have said here, if people dont answer your emails of inquiry you dont deal with them. If I was looking to go into suppying then it might be a different story. I dont want to do this. I just havnt got the inclination or the time. We all know these inks have a shelf life, and for the amount I would need to order to make it a viable proposition I would never use. So the fact of the matter is, I need to find a decent supplier.

Make NO mistake about it, if I can get my paws on some decent ink AND decent carts (like most of you guys/girls can) I most certainly dont mind getting my hands dirty.

Anyway, Ive got those squeaky wheels in motion and Im waiting right now on the outcome. If it all turns good, believe me you'll hear about it.!!!

Music Image