What is "draining too fast"?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Here is a thread about topfilling. Notice the differences in methods in post #1 by The Hat and in post #4 by mikling. The Hat doesn't seal the vent and doesn't fill the reservoir fully to avoid oversaturating the sponges. Mikling fills the reservoir almost full, but seals the vent at some time to avoid oversaturating the sponges.

A cartridge with oversaturated sponges will leak/drip until it is rid of the excessive ink.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
I also topfill. Part of my process is to keep the vent and outlet hole sealed during refilling. I refill until the clear plastic tab at the top of the ink reservoir side touches the ink. I install the silicone plug on the reservoir...THEN...

...I remove the outlet seal and squeeze the cartridge sides to drip out 4-5 ink drops from the outlet over a waste container. Then I reseal the outlet.

Done.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Durstich Method FTW :woot

No vent sealing. No orange clip needed. No dripping required after refilling. No dripping when installing in the print head. Gloves not absolutely required to keep hands clean. Fewer steps to refill than top fill method. Simpler all around. Otherwise, the two methods are exactly the same. :D;)