What Inkjet Printer?

stitchup

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Morning guys

My first post to this forum.

I'm looking for an inkjet printer capable of printing to card. My partner enjoys scrapbooking.

I guess we'll need something that has a straight paper path.

What would be the best quality inkjet printer to fit the needs?

John

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
stitchup said:
Morning guys

My first post to this forum.

I'm looking for an inkjet printer capable of printing to card. My partner enjoys scrapbooking.

I guess we'll need something that has a straight paper path.

What would be the best quality inkjet printer to fit the needs?

John
Canons and Epsons offer a rear feed. Actually both offer CD printing and in a pinch one could make a different carrier and print on something else 1mm high and about 120mm x 120mm square.

I'd avoid the new canon ip4600. I'm sure it's not a bad printer, but the older ip4500 or the multi functional mp610 (Amazon and costco for about $80) offer bigger cartridges, and lower cost per page. Canon makes a good general purpose printer.

A refurbished Epson R280 is $55 shipped from the Epsonstore. This is cheaper than the ink it comes with but you lose in in the priming cycle. The 13 inch wide 1400 is $170. Epsons have the option of after market pigment ink. I just bought Mediastreet ink for my epson 1280, the older version of the 1400. Most interesting are the multi-tone grey inks for the Epson printers.

Epson no longer makes a spiffy 8.5 inch wide pigment printer except for their durabright series of printers. They are not so stellar in terms of photos but the OEM ink is VERY archival on plain paper. The Epson r800 was a stellar pigment printer, 8 tanks, brilliant photos. The model is discontinued and your only option is spending $350 for a close out model, or buy a new R1900 for slightly more, like $400 after rebates from Epson directly. The older R1800 is $400 as a referb from the Epson store.

The new HP D5400 series does not offer a rear feed AFAIK.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
First question...

What weight of card are we talking about here?.. 120gsm (not sure what that is in US poundage)... ?