What have i done wrong? (refilling on an ip4200)

aeronic

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Here are my experiences of refilling a CLI8 cartridge on my canon ip4200.

As following the instructions from re-ink.com

1) remove ball under label

WOOOOSH goes the ink as it gets sucked into the sponge.

2) insert 5ml of ink into cartridge

WOOOOSH as that ink gets sucked into the sponge.

3) insert a further 2ml of ink, still no ink in reservoir, but some drips out of sponge.

4) wait 2 minutes until drips stop.

5) insert ball back into hole with satisfying click, put silicone sealant above it to ensure air tight

6) insert into printer to print.

Now for my observations.

A third full cartridge is now being detected as empty by the computer, hence will shortly disable the level detection. (thought i could get around this by never allowing it to get to low ink warning status - fool me!)

Any thoughs on steps taken above, or things ive done clearly wrong.
have i infact refilled the cartridge? or just filled the sponge with useless ink??

any help appreciated.

Ichiban_jay

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
you have to cover the end of the cartridge before you refill it. What your doing basically has the same effect has using a can opener and popping two holes on a can, basically your allowing air in one side so the ink can go through the other.

If you saved those plastic covers that came with the cartridge you can use those and some tape to plug up the end of the cartridge until after you do refilling.

The ip4200 has a chip system akin to epson's ink chips...

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
It smy understanding that once the chip on the cartridge has decided its empty, the printer will then warn you its empty----and then there is a convolutd process of navigating quite a number of nag screen that warn of dire danger and warranty voiding to go through before the printer will finally allow the refilled cartridge to print.-------if you have not gone through quite a number of nag screens--the printer is still allowing the chip to disable printing with that cartridge---I am sure there is a thread here but hopefully someone remembers exactly where to explain the steps in proper detail.--if not there is a thread on steves digicams.

In terms of your refill proseidure, it looks like you have gotten some ink into the sponge but none into the reserve tank---so the cartridge should print--but not as long as a properly refilled one.

But I am still guessing you have not gone through the proper process of telling the printer to ignore the chip.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
aeronic - Go onto the web site of Alotofthings or www.inksupply.com and read the instructions on refilling the bci-6 cartridge. Same technique as the newer chipped cartridges. Ichiban gave you number one (pun intended!) advice - be sure you sealed the ink outlet port before starting to refill. After refilling, seal the fill hole as you described and open the outlet port. Let it drip til it stops. Blot against a paper towel on a flat surface so you don't dry out the filter in the outlet port and either place in the printer or replace the seal on the outlet port for storage. As Iciban mentioned, if you save the snap-off orange caps you can rubberband them back on to seal the outlet port. Before you reuse them use a sharp knive and cut away any residual plastic from the orange cap or the cartridge where they were attached together. When you receive the cart the cap is "welded" at two little spots and you don't want any little plastic bumps to remain that would prevent them from sealing properly.

aeronic

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
like a donut, i forgot to keep the orange caps when i got the printer / carts new.

any idea where i could source these or any tips for alternative methods?

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Just use something like electrical tape---make sure its wide enough to spans both sides if the ink outlet hole. And tightly taped to the cartridge sides so its under slight tension. You are just trying to keep air exposure from drying the ink out at the center of the ink outlet hole.

But when the ink inlet hole is open to air, some dripping should be expected. Once that ink inlet hole is sealed, the dripping should stop. But in storage, make sure any drips won't make a mess thats hard to clean up.

When the time comes to use the cartridge--even if its not been totally refilled---is to open the in outlet port and give a slight squeeze to the side of the cartridge over a sink or something that will absorb the drops--and confirm you get some ink through the ink outlet port with slight pressure--and you should get some drips that stop rapidly---then blot excess liquid ink off ink outlet port and place cartridge into printer.

If that cartridge is not then used by the printer, chances are you have not navigated the nag screens correctly. And its overiding the chip, not the cartridge that is your problem.

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
From your step 3 I see that you have your ink ourlet opened (so you saw ink dripping) when you were filling ink into the reservoir. The ink outlet is supposed to be sealed off either by the original cap or by a tape. If the outlet is not sealed all the ink filled into the resvevoir leaks out from the outlet. The sponge absorbs some ink only. Once it is full of te rest of the ink will drip out.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Only other thing to add to this lot is that you've probably blown your chances of using your existing cartridges as refilled ones without triggering the warranty void warning as my understanding of the chipped carts is that they will only recognise a decrease in ink levels, not an increase so if the chip has seen itself as empty then it will never see itself as anything else.

Personally, I'd use this opportunity to see if you've learned anything and void things... Doubtless you'll learn more and may, in 6 months, decide it's time for a new printer and purchase a new one with new printhead, etc... and use that with all the knowledge you've picked up.

Just to say thanks to everyone who contrib'd on this thread though as it's been useful for me considering the other aspects of my own iP4200 and doubtless the impending issues when the MP540 and MP830 come out...

aeronic

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
not entirely sure what websnail means about 'learned anything and void things'

I do fully understand my actions and the effect on warranty - also the nag screen etc - i have no problems with that either.

Anyway, thanks for the tips about taping up the outlet hole, that is absolutely the reason why my re-inking was not as successful as i had hoped.

will try to find some now and have another go.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
aeronic said:
not entirely sure what websnail means about 'learned anything and void things'
Whoops... makes no sense to me either so just to clarify..

I was meaning that, if it comes to a point when you printer dies or fails in some way that would normally be covered by the warranty you could use the knowledge you've gained from this printer to avoid the same problems in the future. Assuming of course you decide to get another Canon which uses chipped cartridges.

Hope that makes a bit more sense :)