What happens when you fill a toner cartridge with the wrong toner?

Shadow Wizard

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Subject says it all. What happens if you fill a toner cartridge with the wrong toner (For another make/model). This is the story, so you have a bit of background. I have a CLP-510, and I have inherited allot of toner for various different makes and models of printers, everything from Xerox to Oki even some samsung (But not for this particular printer.) So what I would like to do is TRY these toners and see if any of them will work so I can get some use out of it.
Will it damage the printer or any parts there of?
Can I vacuum out the cartridge if it doesn't work and fill it with another toner?
Will all planets suddenly spin backwards and fly towards the sun?
You get the idea. What are the hazards of trying this?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Shadow Wizard said:
Subject says it all. What happens if you fill a toner cartridge with the wrong toner (For another make/model). This is the story, so you have a bit of background. I have a CLP-510, and I have inherited allot of toner for various different makes and models of printers, everything from Xerox to Oki even some samsung (But not for this particular printer.) So what I would like to do is TRY these toners and see if any of them will work so I can get some use out of it.
Will it damage the printer or any parts there of?
Can I vacuum out the cartridge if it doesn't work and fill it with another toner?
Will all planets suddenly spin backwards and fly towards the sun?
You get the idea. What are the hazards of trying this?
Nothing as dramatic as planets going out of orbit or a block hole appearing in your printer.

If you use the wrong toner in the cartridge then youll just kill the toner drum
and then youll need a new cartridge and DRUM. :hit

Try Google search to see which toners are used in your type of printer, Wikipedia or even inkowl .com
Happy Refilling.:)

Shadow Wizard

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
So, no playing until its time to replace the drum. And that will likely be a while as this is my printer to print stuff that doesn't need to be 100%, so I will keep resetting the drum till it looks like real crap. Anyway, I have looked on Inkowl and unless there is a cross reference chart somewhere I am missing, it is not likely to be helpful. They sell different refill kits for the CLP-300 and the CLP-510. And I know for a fact that at the very least the black is the same toner. (Lots of e-bay cross referencing, as well an an order of toner that works quite well.) Do you have any other suggestions on where to look?
Now as far as "Killing the toner drum" are we talking "Print quality will be great, but after a few prints the drum will die suddenly." or more like "Print quality will be bad, and the drum will die on the first print." or "Print quality will be bad, and if you keep using it, the drum will deteriorate very quickly." I am just wondering basically if the deterioration of the drum will happen over time, and I can put some toner in an empty cartridge, print a single page, and see what happens, or if that single printed page with the wrong toner will kill the drum.

Thanks in advance