What happens if I 3/4 refill and reset cartridge?

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
all very interesting

just making this up: but i would guess that in its original state the cartridges do actually know how much ink there is in them - so if ink is lost or gushed out while using somehow, it still knows - but then the resetter resets, but maybe doesn't/can't reset everything

i don't think the printer manufacturers would simply leave it to just measure the number of ink squirts - it would be quite easy for them to devise a way of actually measuring - there's no reason for them to waste that amount of ink and always overfilling just to be on the safe side

jopereira

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
One other thing to note is when refilling most people tend to over fill their cartridges
(including myself) not intentionally even when using the full reservoir method.. :|
Can you elaborate a little more: what do you mean by over fill?
Do you mean refill, let sponge soak and them refill again to the very, very top?
What would you call a nicely filled cartridge?

ps - do you think I make many questions? Do you? Do you? Or not? :D

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
jopereira Can you elaborate a little more: what do you mean by over fill?
Do you mean refill, let sponge soak and them refill again to the very, very top?
What would you call a nicely filled cartridge
The correct way might be to just fill the reservoir full once and then seal up the cartridge.
Since the ink in the reservoir tends to soak into the sponge I like most guys always fill it to full again before resealing my cartridge.
It may be bad practice to do that but bad habits die hard (with me anyway)..:|

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
I was just printing out a few shots today on my Pro 9000 with CLI8 cartridges & I got the low ink warning on three of the OEM colours. I refilled the CLi8 PM with some OEM ink out of a OEM CLi6 cart last week & reset the chip & it's now only 1/4 full but the printer tells me it's full. So I think the squirt theory might be close to correct. The three that I got the low ink warning on have no ink in the chamber but the sponge looks very saturated.
The red & green cartridges are still full & they're full to the very top with just a small air bubble so Canon must fill the cartridges to very full after the sponge has soaked up what it can.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
I think you are correct about Canon filling them to full after the sponge saturates.

If you look at it from a consumer point of view, what would you think if you took a new cartridge (OEM) out of the package and the window only showed a level half full?

Mmmm...maybe that's why they are making them opaque now :)

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
So if your brand new original Canon cart is inserted into the printer, registered as full, develops a fault which lets the ink run out, the printer will happily print until the head burns out?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
jackson the printer will happily print until the head burns out?
Nope, when you purchase OEM cartridges they are so well manufactured theyre not going to leak.
Its one of the reasons why you pay that little extra for them and the quality ink thats inside them,
they are also the best for refilling time and time again without a dough (quality built)..:)

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
OM2 said:
all very interesting

- so if ink is lost or gushed out while using somehow, it still knows - but then the resetter resets, but maybe doesn't/can't reset everything

i don't think the printer manufacturers would simply leave it to just measure the number of ink squirts - it would be quite easy for them to devise a way of actually measuring - there's no reason for them to waste that amount of ink and always overfilling just to be on the safe side
My understanding , (and experience so far), is if you have a cart which the chip has decided it must now be nearly empty because of the number of sqirts/firings it has performed it will ask for replacement. If you re-set the cart and forget to put the ink in the reservoir , it will stop the warning and print until the remaining ink in the sponge is exhausted and then happily try to carry on printing with that fully empty cart , frying the head in the process before the appropriate number of squirts(for a full cart) , is reached. There is one school of thought which says that you will be saved before that time by the prism kicking in and alerting you to a visually empty cart . I don`t believe this, but if someone has actually experienced this circumstance I would stand corrected.
The only test would be to reset an empty cart , neglect to put the ink in and see which came first , a warning of low/empty ink via the prism or a flashing orange light denoting a fried print head.

Please understand the Canon chip is designed to measure a period of time/number of nozzle firings, for a full of ink cart , which when that point is reached , the cart will be discarded. Canon only sell ink carts which are full, therefore the chip will start from a presumed full point.
Therefore I do believe the printer manufacturer "would simply leave it to measure ink squirts" , thats all they need to do in their perfect world , once its fired its quota , the cart is dead.If you are going to resurrect it using black arts then be prepared to follow the re-fill rules , Canon will not amend their specifcations to accomodate re-fillers.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
My limited experience with Canon chipped cartridges is that the printer ignores the prism even though you can see the optical sensor that would be used. It doesn't make sense that Canon would put the sensor in the printer and then not use it for anything.

However, the next time you have a cartridge with an empty reservoir, reset the cartridge and put it back in the printer without refilling it and see if the printer reports the cartridge as full or low. When I do this it reports full which means it is ignoring the prism information. I have also put in a refilled and reset cartridge and let the printer get used to it. Then I have sucked the ink out of the reservoir using the German refill procedure in reverse and put the cartridge back in the printer and it still reports it full. So I have concluded that the optical sensor is not being used.

Also, I always refill the reservoir to the max, turn the cartridge right side up, let some ink saturate the sponge and then refill the reservoir to the max again. This process will not oversaturate the sponge using the German method as it can with the top fill method.