What happened with my printer? Ink on timing disk Pro 9000 Mk II

Nirvash

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello, my apparent bad luck with printers strikes again, last night I was having a few issues printing a document, may of been related, may not, but I decided to table it and try to figure it out before I went to work the next day.

Fast forward to this morning, I turned my printer on and it went through it's normal start up until it got to the feed roller. The feed roller spun at full speed for a second or two and then stopped, and the service light began flashing (3 times). I restarted once or twice to make sure it wasn't just a random error, it was persistent.
So I looked inside the printer body to see if I could find anything wrong, the first thing I checked was the timing disk for the feed roller and...
http://i.imgur.com/eT47MG4.jpg
I don't think it is supposed to look like that... (How it should look! http://i.imgur.com/yXj44yT.png )

Now, what could of caused the disk to get like that, and more importantly, is this something I should attempt to clean myself, or should I contact canon?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
This is how my year old 9000 II looks.

(Double click to enlarge)

Hope this helps.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
It looks to me like the right timing disk has been submerged in ink and that centrifugal force distributed the ink when the disk was spinning.

The only cause of that problem I can imagine, is overflowing ink absorbers, causing a pool of ink at the bottom of the printer. So have you resat the ink absorber counter without changing or cleaning the absorbers or have you had a disastrous ink leakage from the cartridges inside the printer?