What filament to try first ?

RichardM

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Anet A2
As a complete newcomer to the world of 3DP and soon to be the proud father of an Anet A2 what filament would be the best to start with ?
(That's assuming I manage to get the thing screwed together and not screwed up!
Thanks for any advice... bet if I get three replies there will be three filaments to try.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Welcome RichardM, Well here’s the first, I started with ABS and had limited success with it, but the odour was not so good for the health, I also am using a reel of PETG again with some success, but for everything else I use PLA.:ya

Some say PLA is not great, but I say the opposite, I make everything now from PLA, because it’s the most friendly and versatile filament to use, and for outdoor use I spray with clear lacquer paint to lesson the effect of UV..
Win Win..:thumbsup

P.S. Your scepticism will disappear once you get started on your first project, and you’ll soon be a 3D-aholic like some of us, then you’re hooked...:lol:

RichardM

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Anet A2
Me a sceptic ? Nah just old enough to be a realist, but not too old to keep on playing, am picking up the A2 tomorrow, have the welding gear and hammer at hand, will no doubt keep everyone informed with build progress i.e. HELP.....

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
will no doubt keep everyone informed with build progress i.e. HELP.....
You could share your built with a few photos, anyway we’re here if you need someone to laugh with...:D
Watch this space.... :)

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
PLA is definitely the starting and for most of your printing probably the normal type of filament you will use. Others are possible to print with but more finicky in their set up and temperature ranges etc.

Here is a very comprehensive guide to filaments:

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/materials-guide/

Also I recommend bookmarking their troubleshooting guide, which is helpful no matter which slicer you use.

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/#not-extruding-at-start-of-print

For anyone contemplating ABS printing there is a newish filament called ABS Pro or ABS plus which is a lot easier to print with and is as strong as the standard ABS. I have not yet tried it but inted to give it a go soon.

Esun ABS + is the most popular make.

Edit:

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Yes, PLA for sure!! I'd probably have given up on 3D printing had I started with ABS, etc. Of course, even with PLA, there are a myriad of options. I tend to just go with the cheapest stuff I can find :hide

http://www.zyltech.com/ has decent filament and often has sales where you can get it pretty cheap. Other people swear by MatterHackers, etc.

RichardM

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Anet A2
I've been reading too much stuff about plastic string, is there any serious difference in the PLA that goes for around £9.00 / 1Kg to that costing £22.00. Or is the difference merely in the profit ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
is the difference merely in the profit ?
In my experience, I reckon it’s purely Profit....
I'm down to my last 10 metres, so I’ve just bought 9 rolls of PLA from, 3dqf.co.uk/factory-shop
Cheap, Cheap, Cheapest...:ya
So far everyone has recommended PLA as a starter, now I reckon you know....:D

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I definitely think there are some differences in some brands vs. other. The big question "How important are these differences, will I notice, and is it worth the extra cost?"

For example, you can see some of the benefits that Prusa is claiming in their new filament line:

So, if SUPER consistent diameter, color, etc. is important to you and your prints... then maybe it's worth the extra $$? For me... not so much.

My first rolls were around $15 on Amazon. Then I got rolls from Zyltech at about $11 each, then I got 4 rolls of TIANSE on Amazon for crazy $8 each shipped free (super insane sale and I kinda wish I had bulked up on more)!