What filament to try first ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I definitely think there are some differences in some brands vs. other. The big question "How important are these differences, will I notice, and is it worth the extra cost?"
I use both cheap and not so cheap filament, but I only got trouble with the more expensive stuff, the filament was broken in about eight places right through the reel, and I got a free replacement for it, but never got any apology or explanation as to the cause..:hu

The troublesome filament was called REAL Filament and I can say that with no apology needed..:D

RichardM

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Anet A2
Well when I get around to building this THING I'll buy a bucket off ebay (around £9.00 1Kg) and see what happens. Problem is I won't know if it's me or the filament (going by previous experiences it'll be me (but like the workman I will blame the toooooools.

RichardM

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Anet A2
Re The Hat's recommendation (always be ready to blame someone if [when] things go wrong) have ordered a bucket of PLA from 3DQF nice to be able to support British Manufacturers, they're an endangered species.
Now the A2 is built just waiting for some filament to commission it.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I am very surprised that you didn’t get a small supply of filament (5 metre Roll) in the kit, mostly it is recognised that a kit builder wouldn’t have any filament to hand, shame on then for that too..
(always be ready to blame someone if [when] things go wrong)
Blame away I’m good for it....:p
Try here for some thingies.. ;)
https://www.thingiverse.com/newest

RichardM

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Anet A2
Grrr............ Been googling too much. Apparently PLA absorbs moisture and not only does it bugger things up when printing as per the posts by many but it carries on absorbing moisture once 'produced'.
From what I understand drying out the filament may render it useable but it does not improve its strength. To me this renders it questionable for producing anything that one wants to keep.
I'm all for degradable plastic but I hate the thought of having to run back to the car with the shopping before the bag disintegrates 'cause it's raining.
Is ABS more robust or is there anything else (I'm thinking of support / mounting plates etc. for stepper motors, bearings and other lovely mechanical gizmos). I admit by the time I become competent enough to produce anything useful 3Dp will no doubt have evolved to the state of home printers throwing out liquid metal or ceramics but one lives in hope!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
So long as PLA is kept in a normal atmosphere up to 70% humidity, then it will work ok, but ABS has its own unique problems, I use PLA for all my upgrade parts and again no issues, using ABS needs more taught, whereas PLA is far more forgiving and easier to use... ;)
P.S. don't mention the stink from ABS...:eek: