What does this scan of my Canon i865 nozzle check indicate?

Wam7

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My Canon i865 has a green tint to my colour prints. Attached is a nozzle check. Does this indicate that the 6Bk is blocked?

Defcon2k

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Your photoblack seems to be fine (nearly), but your magenta has problems. Start a head cleaning, or check the air vent of the cart, or try another cart or check the purge unit. If this does not do the trick, a manual cleaning of the print head may be a good idea.

Wam7

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Will try manually cleaning the print head. (Where is the purge unit? hmmm)
Normally M & N are black (along with the characters '6C' etc) so what is causing them to show up as green?

Defcon2k

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
The parts of the nozzle check which are dark green now normally appear nearly black, because the colors cyan, magenta and yellow are printed on top of each other. If one of the colors is missing, you can only see the other two. Here: yellow+cyan=green.
I doubt that the purge unit ist the problem because you have only severe problems with one color, but if you want to check it: on the right side of the printer are two little sponges where the print head parks when the printer is off. give some water on the sponge and perform a head cleaning. If the water is gone, the purge unit should be okay.

Wam7

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks, though I am not sure if that is correct. I tested each colour on it's own, the Cyan, Magenta, & Yellow with nozzle pattern and all of them printed their colour on squares M & N. I then tested them all together and I still get the Green. Logically I can not see why they work separately and not together.

I tried the 6Bk but this did not print on the M & N and I suspect it should do. I will check this with Canon.

Wam7

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Canon Support said:
Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding your Canon product.

Please be advised that the block M and N on the nozzle check are produced using the BCI-6 Bk ink tank.
Anybody care to shed anymore light on this conundrum?

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Since the Photo black is only used when the paper type is set to photo, what happens if you print a sheet of black text ?
Either it's black or some odd leak (which only appears when printing photos) is mixing in with the black.
Or the printer is confused because a setting (profile?) or driver is wrong.
I would uninstall the printer, remove the drivers and start again.

Wam7

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Black text is fine (that uses the 3eBK). It's just photo's that have a green tint to them as demonstrated by the M & N. I have done a thorough and exhaustive clean of the print head so that I am pretty sure no blocks are in there. I am stumped as to what's causing it & don't want to buy a new print head just in case that does not solve it.

I have done a fresh install and even used the IP4200 drivers but it's still the same.

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
My point was to select 'photo' paper and print a sheet of black text on regular paper.
Since it's 'photo' it should use the bci6 photo black only and no other colours.
I reasoned then that if the black came out green, there was either contamination into the photo black or the wrong instructions were getting to the print head.
If the photo black was tinted, there couldn't be a blockage since no other but the black would be used on a black 'photo'.

Wam7

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I printed a sheet of black text using the 'Photo Paper Pro' setting and the text was printed in perfect black. Hmm, any recommendations on what printer I should get next. :/