What color should the sponge be on a flush pro-100 cart.

InkFu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
So I bought a set of 3 used pro-100 carts :D unfortunately they seemed to have been used quite a while ago ;( They have a layering on the sponge where the top 60% is lighter than the bottom 40%. The color is also not uniformed but dots of dark along with lighter color ink. Knowing that the yellow isn't to be used I flushed it with water and got a nice uniform sun yellow. However, the replacement carts I got from precision colors bright white. Are these sponges unusable :(.

Thanks.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Reflush them with Windex with ammonia. Let them sit filled with Windex for one hour. Now re flush with warm water. They will end up as pure white.
The reason you saw a two colored layer is normal as the sponges are dual layered with the top half being low density and the bottom being high density.
Never flush these carts initially with water!!!!!!
Always begin with Windex, and then following with water.

Joe

InkFu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Wow. The living legend answering my question. Thanks Joe! I love your youtube channel. I guess I have 24 carts to flush :celebrate

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Never flush these carts initially with water!!!!!!
Why?

Concerning bone white sponges... I found, when I did flush cartridges years ago, that it was unnecessary to flush till the sponge was white. I understand the allure of flushing till uniformly white, but, is this necessary and why?

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
CLI-42 ink is not your regular ink!
It is tenacious specially when you initially use water and will almost always leave a residue as opposed to beginning with Windex.
Using this process will allow you to use the original am yellow cart as well!
Does the other color sponges need to be super white?
Of course not. But imagine someone selling you pre flushed carts and they were not white..... Of source a nice white sponge is better.
Joe

InkFu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey Joe,

So I flushed 7 of the carts. I'm rather surprised how easily the Windex removed the ink from the sponge. Anyhow I couldn't get all the color out via the Windex flush. The color seems trapped in the maze and on the opposite side of the cart making a L shape of color ink. I ran 60ml of Windex through each cart. I imagine the remaining color will be removed via the water flush. Anyways, they are sitting now. I'm too tired now to wait an hour to flush them all out with water. So I'm going to leave them overnight if not till I get home tomorrow. I hope the sponges can't get damaged by sitting with the Windex too long. :eek:

Anyhow,
Thanks for your help!

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Did you flush them with Windex from the start? Or after water.
I get snow white sponges with Windex.
Joe

InkFu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
From the start :D. Of course I have the clips on. Maybe that's the problem.

Edit: Yep keeping the clip on was causing the problem. Sometimes I'm not so bright. o_O

Last edited: